Bitcoin Mining Rig - £600ish

Associate
Okay, so I've decided to build myself a bitcoin mining rig, hopefully for less than £600.

Basically GPU is much more important than CPU power, and AMD/ATI is about 5 times faster than NVIDIA, so the focus of the build will be 2x Sapphire 5850's.

I might use the build for some light gaming and general usage too at some point, but it's mainly for bitcoin mining, so I do not need an excessively powerful processor. AMD would be fine, maybe the Phenom x4 since it's not too expensive anyway.

Anyone got any ideas of a good build for this? A bit clueless about best motherboard with crossfire etc at the moment.

Associate
OP
Stulid, thanks for the link.

R.C.Anderson, thanks for discussing the matter sensibly using valid points. I have indeed considered whether the number of miners has already reached an optimal number, making it unprofitable for any other players to enter the industry. However, I have been wanting a new gaming rig for a while too (My last gaming PC is a 3 year old laptop...), so even if the bitcoin mining proves too unprofitable I wouldn't be too unhappy with my purchase.

For the rest. No, the currency will likely appreciate rather than depreciate as regardless of the number of people and the strenght of their hardware only a constant number of bitcoins are produced each day. Every 10 minutes 50 coins are produced, until 210 000 blocks something like that, where the number produced every 10 minutes halves to 25. In the end there will be only 21 million bitcoins. So in contrast to the paper fiat currencys there will likely be deflation rather than inflation.

And for the whole "value out of nothing" thing people seem to be unable to understand... Well paper money are worthless too essentially if you look only at the utility of use of the paper itself. It's the value as a medium of exchange that gives paper money value (As well as the forced value stemming from government force dictating it as legal tender).

Bitcoins are valuable because they are an useful medium of exchange. You cannot reverse transactions such as paypal. At the moment there are no mandatory transaction fees, so international transactions are much more efficient than using banks etc. They are secure and thanks to the raw computing strenght of the network it would be nearly impossible for an hacker attack on the currency itself (Obviously you can still hack individual users and try to steal their bitcoins from their PC, as has happened).

And yes, criminals love bitcoins, because it is anonymous. If they love it and need it for transactions, demand for the currency increases, which I believe is a large reason for the massive increase in value of the currency during the past few months. Even if you have no interest in purchasing illegal drugs (I do not myself for instance), it can still be interesting to look up The Silk Road to get an understanding of the kind of underground market that bitcoin helps enable.

(Mods, if mentioning the silk road is against forum terms just delete it from my post. I'm unsure. Anyway, not mentioning anything about how to get to it)

Associate
OP
I don't understasnd the bitcoin system, what gives these coins value?

What do people buy them with? It's not like you can buy retail stuff with them right? So, what value are they?

Can bitcoins be turned into cash?

Use https://mtgox.com/ to turn cash into bitcoins or bitcoins to cash. It's reliable, I've used it myself. Cashed out too. 1 bitcoins = 20 dollars roughly at the moment. (Keeps changing naturally).

The coins are given value because they are a medium of exchange and possess some necessary properties such as being scarce, secure etc.

You could turn your bitcoins to cash using mtgox to buy retail stuff. Or you could change bitcoins into physical cash by selling coins for cash on some exchange (there are several people sending cash for bitcoins. Heck, even I'd be happy to send you as much cash as you want if you gave me a low rate since I could then make a profit. People saying bitcoins are worthless are free to sell me bitcoins and I'll send them £5 per bitcoin in hard physical notes. I can then make at least £5 profit per coin just selling them on.).

Associate
OP
As no one seems to be suggesting any components I'll suggest something then you guys can point out if I have done anything wrong. I'm a little wary of the PSU, apparently an Xfire 5850 system only pulls less than 500W but it seems a little low. I am yet to find a decent and simple PSU calculator.

YOUR BASKET
2 x Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 Extreme 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card **OcUK Exclusive** £116.99
1 x AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition "125W Edition" 3.20GHz (Socket AM3) - Retail £89.99
1 x Sapphire Pure CrossFireX 890GX (AM3) Motherboard - Retail £88.99
1 x Antec High Current Gamer 620W Power Supply £49.99
1 x Antec 100 One Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black £41.99
1 x Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) £39.98
1 x Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD753LJ) £28.99
1 x OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM £14.99
Total : £603.90 (includes shipping : £12.50).

Thanks. This looks good, but think I'll upgrade the PSU to:

OCZ StealthXStream 2 700W Power Supply .

Otherwise, this was very much the type of build I was looking for. Many thanks indeed!

Associate
OP
I'd personally get the Antec PSU. The High Current 620W is a Seasonic unit, can't find any info on the SXSII, probably a CWT or similar

EDIT: 600W version of the SXSII is an FSP build, 700 may be too then.

How do the builds matter? Genuine question, I am totally ignorant when it comes to this area and would like to learn more.

Back
Top Bottom