BitFenix Recon the worst controller ever?

Soldato
OP
How did you manage to make it louder than normal air cooling?

I bought an XSPC 750 V4 Pump/Res thing and it was extremely loud, much louder than my GTX 680 Reference at 100% load.

I then got an EK 2.2 Pump that was rated at 20 something Db and that was also louder than my GTX 680 at load.

Associate
Remove the software you have installed and download Phoebetria. It's better than the official software.

This is the best advice, I tried for an hour or so with the factory software, got it working online etc and even on my iPhone I could manually control it but trying to get the profiles to work was awful.

Download Phoebetria - No need for firefox browser, no silly run as administrator, this thing just works.

After 30 mins of messing about I now have a fully functional, fully automated Fan controller that looks as good as it performs.

A few things to note -

USB header - I have tried a few ways now and it doesn't matter if you plug in the middle part or the end part as long as you have the correct GND/D+/D- wires connecting. There is no 5v due to the Recon getting its power from Molex.

DO NOT USE Bitfenix software - yes you will lose the ability to view over a network when using Phoebetria but if you get the results of a fully automated fan controller then for me its a no brainer

Temp Sensors - Again no rocket science here, if you intend to use the fan controller to be automated then you need to make sure you have at least 1 of these probes attached to a device where the temp changes. I have all 5 of mine hooked up but only 4 fans but you can tell the Phoebetria software which probe to use for what channel, you can use multiple fans for a single probe too.

Profiles - If you prefer not to have the fans spin up to at leats a medium speed when they first turn on then I would suggest setting the fan to never stop. Annoyingly if you don't use this function then when the fan first turns on it does indeed go up to a minimum speed half way or more) before dropping back down to target speed.

Auto Start - My preferred method for this is using task scheduler as you can actually run the program at 'Log In' which can bypass the UAC on Windows 7

Associate
I bought an XSPC 750 V4 Pump/Res thing and it was extremely loud, much louder than my GTX 680 Reference at 100% load.

I then got an EK 2.2 Pump that was rated at 20 something Db and that was also louder than my GTX 680 at load.

Sorry but this boils my ****....you go out and buy the best GPU out there but yet scrimp on the Pumps you choose

Buy a Llang V5 vario...don't buy anything else, turn down to level 1 or 2 and it would outperform the two pumps listed by quite a margin and be silent at the same time.

At no point in time should a decent watercooled setup work out louder than air only. I'm talking CPU/GPU/whatever else you connect. The whole point of custom loops is that you can make it as quiet and efficient as you want but you do have to buy the right kit in the first place.

Caporegime
I had one of these bitfenix recon controllers, until it died. It was a pain in the ass to be honest. I've since replaced it with a dial Lian LI controller and although its not a fancy touchscreen it just works perfectly.

Associate
Download Phoebetria - No need for firefox browser, no silly run as administrator, this thing just works.

After 30 mins of messing about I now have a fully functional, fully automated Fan controller that looks as good as it performs.

As a little bit of history the Phoebetria project was "born" out of wanting much more control than the original software provided (especially fan ramps). I have my ramps set up so that most of the time all but one fan are off and the others only come on when I'm doing something demanding (e.g. gaming). I really thought it'd only take a few weeks to write (did have a rough and ready version up and running in about that time) but in reality it took a bit longer to write all the functions that seemed desirable. Working on version 2 of Phoebetria now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom