"Black Ops" system

Associate
I'm planning on ordering this pre-built system, I just have a few questions.

Is it worth getting the sli or an ssd, as I can only get either at the moment. I was about to order it with the sli, but a friend suggested it's over the top and that an ssd would be better. Need some guidance, the last system I built was 7 years ago.

Also, with the OC. I take it all OC is set up on the BIOS? So if Ordered with no OS and used my own it would still be overclocked?

RJC

RJC

Don
Personal choice would be a SSD, Updated my system with the OCZ 60gb and so far over the moon with it.

You can easily add another gpu down the line :)

Caporegime
SLI or SSD depends on whether you want faster graphics or faster load times.

OC is in the BIOS so putting your own OS on doesn't affect it.

You need to make sure you have a 64 bit OS otherwise you won't see all of the RAM due to the 4GB limit of a 32 bit OS.

Permabanned
As above, though imo youd be better going for something like the Exodus and getting a better single card system and your SSD to boot (no pun intended)
Re the OS yes its fine, the OC in BIOS is independant of software OS

Soldato
I would appreciate a SSD more to be honest, you can always upgrade in the future though :)
Just my personal opinion, I love loading quicker :D

Soldato
A shorter loading time, or a massive graphical increase while you are in game, and if you are like me, that could be for a few hours at a time.

SLI every time.

Soldato
It really just depends as Papalazaru says, it just depends on personal choice. I love the feeling of how quickly my computer boots, and speed applications open, but i do love my graphics too! so SLI isn't out my option window. :) go with what you want

Permabanned
A shorter loading time, or a massive graphical increase while you are in game, and if you are like me, that could be for a few hours at a time.

SLI every time.

maasive graphical increase?
In what? Benchmarks, yeahy I get 120fps now instead of 80 fps, still looks the same to the person viewing it

Also SSD cut my boot times by over 2/3, now takes around 20 sec from POST to windows vs over a minute before, yes its a luxury and Im not advocating everyone should rush out and by one but I think your above statement is misleading, the effect of SSD tends to be more than SLI, but as I said Id personally go for i5 system with 480 n SSD rather than i7 with either SLI 460s or SSD/460, i5/480/SSD would spank either system, imo :D

Soldato
If it was me getting a new system, id prefer a much rounded performance off the bat, so i personally would choose SSD over SLI.

At least that way, its all up and running with OS installed, if u added an SSD down the line its a hassle of re-installing windows/or copying it over. Where as SLI is easy to add in later if u really wanted it.

So thats what i would do, SSD first.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
you only need the sli if you are gaming at high res.

1080p+ then maybe it is required.

otherwise the SSD is the far superior choice.

Soldato
maasive graphical increase?
In what? Benchmarks, yeahy I get 120fps now instead of 80 fps, still looks the same to the person viewing it

So your point is there is no point in all these people buying top end GPU's, or SLI'ing GPu's as you cannot notice any difference in gaming? ;)

The graphics will be better and smoother. That is a fact. By how much and by what measure depends but for me, as I spend long hours gaming, I would prefer my gaming visuals to be better. :)

Admittedly, I have both and SSD and a decent GPU so have the luxury of both. What I would say is that to add another GPU down the line will be a hell of a lot easier than adding an SSD.

Associate
OP
I didn't mention I will be using it for gaming at (most likely) 1080.

but as I said Id personally go for i5 system with 480 n SSD rather than i7 with either SLI 460s or SSD/460, i5/480/SSD would spank either system, imo :D

You really think so? What about the i7 system with a 480? Would OC do that for me if I requested it?

Associate
if it's mostly for cod black ops then you could get away with a 5770 as the GPU

correction: if it's mostly for fps' excluding Crysis then you could get away with a 5770

if you want absolute max settings then a GTX 460 will cater for most games (all games if you don't put the AA too high)

Permabanned
i7 is no better for gaming than i5, its better for heavily multithreaded apps but not for gaming
As HW91 suggests you prob dont need a 480 anyway, and in fact you could go for a 470 (Id say good middle ground of price/performance -the 460 is best bang for buck but imo 470 is optimal) and pocket the cash

Associate
OP
I'd say my options are now:

460 Hawk sli
470 + OCZ 90gb ssd
or

These combinations are roughly within my budget.

Would Overclockers put in a gpu not listed in the options if I asked?

Last edited:
Soldato
theres two msi gtx 470.
ocuk gtx 470 is £211 while the cheapest of the two msi gtx 470 is £223.
the second msi gtx 470 is the frozr II which has a custom/different cooler for £249.

Back
Top Bottom