"Black Ops" system

Associate
OP
theres two msi gtx 470.
ocuk gtx 470 is £211 while the cheapest of the two msi gtx 470 is £223.
the second msi gtx 470 is the frozr II which has a custom/different cooler for £249.

Oh yeah I meant the cheaper one. The difference between them is £12, so I was wondering if you actually get anything for that £12..apart from the name.

Associate
one way of thinking about it:
1) you buy with the SSD now, and add another 460 later. When you come to install, you open the case, pop the card in, connect the power, close the case, start the PC and enable SLI in the nvidia control panel.

2) you buy the sli now, and add an SSD later. When you come to install, you opend the case, pop the SSD in, fit the various cables, close the case, start the PC , go into the BIOS, set the drive boot priority and AHCI mode, reinstall windows, most likely gonna have to wipe your existing HD, reconfigure all of your programs and settings.

Option 1 sounds slightly simpler dontya think? ;)

Associate
OP
one way of thinking about it:
1) you buy with the SSD now, and add another 460 later. When you come to install, you open the case, pop the card in, connect the power, close the case, start the PC and enable SLI in the nvidia control panel.

2) you buy the sli now, and add an SSD later. When you come to install, you opend the case, pop the SSD in, fit the various cables, close the case, start the PC , go into the BIOS, set the drive boot priority and AHCI mode, reinstall windows, most likely gonna have to wipe your existing HD, reconfigure all of your programs and settings.

Option 1 sounds slightly simpler dontya think? ;)

I've decided I'll definitely get a single card + SSD, precisely for the reasons you stated.

Now I just need to decide between the 470 and the 460 hawk. I'm not sure which is better, since the hawk has a higher clock speeds. Help?

Associate
If you're just looking at it from a game point of view then an ssd is pretty pointless but in terms of your overall computer experience an ssd is very nice.

Associate
OP
If you're just looking at it from a game point of view then an ssd is pretty pointless but in terms of your overall computer experience an ssd is very nice.

I'll be using the PC for tasks other than gaming. I'll be working on a few projects soon, so would be great to have things loading fast.

I really can't wait, my current PC is a pentium 4 with a GeForce fx5700 lol. So quite a huge upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom