Blackpool fined 25k

Caporegime
IMO you register 24 or 25 players with the Premier League as your squad and then you pick your team from that squad. The PL get get stuffed if they think a manager has to play his strongest team constantly. Man U, Man City, Arsenal etc constantly rotate their team and it's not unheard of for there to be 5-7 changes some weeks. Stupid move by the PL, they'll have to apply some consistency otherwise will be ripe for 'one rule for them, one for us' conspiracies.

Soldato
Totally agree with the fact that people should be able to pick any team from the squad they've submitted to the PL but Holloway is a complete arse and I can't wait for him to leave the PL, unfortunately it looks like we may be getting Neil Warnock back who is just as bad.

Soldato
Yeah, I was like cmon cheer up, hes getting too vocal but I suppose hes always been like that

Its called banter

I was at that game, blackpool were TERRIBLE. We played some mental formation (half our team out of position) and a reserve back line + keeper and still dominated. That crazy little imp needs to grow up and accept he'll be playing the same fixture next season...

Soldato
Don't often feel compelled to post in this forum, but this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! It's not like Blackpool fielded a bunch of scrubs they picked up at the local park :confused: (obvious jokes aside...)

The PL needs to be fined 25,000 for being a bunch of 'tards.

Does ANYBODY agree with this fine?

Soldato
Arsenal made 8 changes for their trip to Wigan and dropped 2 points. Will they be charged? We all know the answer.
It's ridiculous isn't it? Even as an Arsenal fan I can see there's no consistency in the punishments.

Admittedly you've got to make sure no manager goes out to deliberately lose a match, but surely you should be doing that through actual evidence, rather than assumption?

Soldato
Disgusting decision to fine him.

I can't believe nobody is standing up to them. It's disgraceful, maybe those 4chan muppets should put their LOIC's to good use and target the institutions responsible for such ridiculous decisions like this.

Soldato
So asked the PL for comment and got this reply...

Thanks for your email.

I understand that you wish to contact us with regard to the decision to fine Blackpool.

The matter was debated at the AGM in the summer when a proposal to abolish the Rule was defeated - a majority of clubs voting to keep the Rule. The rules are determined by the clubs and as the Administrative office for the League we ensure that the rules are upheld.

In reaching a decision the Board took into account the team fielded by Blackpool in its match against West Ham United on 13th November 2010 and in subsequent League matches. We also considered the team fielded in the FA Cup 3rd Round tie versus Southampton FC and the Blackpool FC Managers’ comments concerning the team selected for that game. We can assure you that each case is dealt with on its merits and that other Club team selections have been queried in the past. There are a number of factors taken into consideration, including the rotation of squad players. It is accepted that squad rotation is a feature of modern day football played at the highest level and there are many examples each season of Clubs rotating players. The Board of the Premier League has the difficult task of deciding what is acceptable and what is not. We can only reinforce that following Blackpool making ten changes in their match against Aston Villa we monitored their team selections for their following seven Premier League games to see how often the players used against Aston Villa were fielded in the first XI.

Kind regards,

Supporter Services

So what if they made 10 changes :confused: There is absolutely nothing to say they can't do that, is there? If the players are on their books, and registered for the competition, what on earth is the problem?

I think they're really just giving Holloway a slap on the wrist for his comments about team selection, rather than any teams fielded....which, as far as I can tell, they have no justification for complaining.

Associate
It's ridiculous isn't it? Even as an Arsenal fan I can see there's no consistency in the punishments.

Admittedly you've got to make sure no manager goes out to deliberately lose a match, but surely you should be doing that through actual evidence, rather than assumption?

Djourou + Fabregas+ rvp were injured for the wigan game. Sagna was sent off against chelsea. None of those played in the following game against Fulham either.

Man of Honour
As said previously many times I think this sort of thing is a disgrace, managers should be able to pick whatever team you have chosen.

I think as some managers have pointed out, now we have 25-man squads it is arguably even more outrageous.

Associate
It's a device to keep the 'entertainment value' of the Premiership up; you can bet your brown button flaps Sky et al pushed for it, although it probably does make sense business-wise.

And it makes Manchester United Vs. [Anyone <4th] games more interesting.

Soldato
It's a device to keep the 'entertainment value' of the Premiership up; you can bet your brown button flaps Sky et al pushed for it, although it probably does make sense business-wise.

And it makes Manchester United Vs. [Anyone <4th] games more interesting.

They can field who they like, hasn't stopped more than one team just rolling over for them (And Chelsea) this season.

Associate
Except they can't; they mightn't start the odd first-teamer, but there's apparantly a line with the FA even if it's not clear exactly where it is yet - just ask Mick.

Nothing stopping even a full line-out rolling over when Fergie or whoever-Abramovich-saw-on-SSN come knocking though, not sure how you can make rules against 'not trying'.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

And that's the problem. A top team's squad is assembled to try and win every game. When a lesser side, one whose aim it is to survive starts rotating you gotta wonder...

What if everybody starts doing it? That ruins the integrity of the league and could end up deciding places for Europe or even the title itself. It matters to us if we lose a game because of the trophies we're going for. One game for Blackpool doesn't matter when they openly admit they're prioritising the next. The same for Wolves recently.

Back
Top Bottom