• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

Soldato
If you want to make gaming affordable for the current generation of gamers, not the ones of the past (like me) then having a 5080 at £999-1199 might be fine, but you you need to make sure the older cards fall to a sensible level to make PC gaming affordable. Alternatively you end up with what is happening now, people playing games like Fortnite and Valorant etc. as it will run on a potato at 200fps, and you can just leave the high-end cards for the total nobbers who want CP2077 Ultra-RT with a 4090 etc.

Soldato
Oh dear. Not a fan of monitors that use power bricks.
I don’t seen to get much luck at all with monitor psu’s.

My dell 2406 built in psu failed, am on the second psu for my Asus PG278Q and this is my third psu for my Asus P35VQ ( And these 280watt ones cost £150 each :mad:)

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t seen to get much luck at all with monitor psu’s.

My dell 2406 built in psu failed, am on the second psu for my Asus PG278Q and this is my third psu for my Asus P35VQ ( And these 280watt ones cost £150 each :mad:)

It's just buy a compatible version, but then an OEM is about £90 so no idea why you are paying £150

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I think 5080 should really have at least 20GB VRAM otherwise its no point paying £1000 for a gpu, 16gb is minimum for 4k gamers and there are already games that can overspill that. Pricing is very important here, The gpu gaming market is not doing great tm and I think people are just not going to pay anymore. Problem is Nvidia has a way out and its call AI compute cards, they would rather sell AI cards than gaming GPU, they make so much more money this way. AMD on another hand is not doing well, apart from console market they don't have much of anything else, were slow with whole AI stuff and Nvidia dominates there and with Intel set so make a rise over next few year and lower end /mid range segment might get squeezed even more.

I wonder how much longer AMD can stay in the game like this, future don't seem good for home pc gaming, hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder how much longer AMD can stay in the game like this, future don't seem good for home pc gaming, hope I am wrong.
Am guessing AMD doesn't need to sell a load of PC GPU's as there millions of consoles sold with there GPU's in
But then i don't know how much profit AMD makes from each console that sold.

Last edited:
Associate
All jokes aside, this is a terrible idea. 5090 likely to be extremely limited stock, likely to be the fastest card on release, maybe you get lucky with bots/stock checker etc.

Only sell the 4090 when you can actually buy the 5090. The second hand value dropping by £200 is irrelevant if you're waiting 3-4 months without a GPU.

Also, assuming the 5080 is £1,000 and matches the 4090 for performance perfectly (highly unlikely), it will have 16gb VRAM, so 4090 should still command a premium for the 24GB.

I kind of expect the 5080 to be slower than the 4090, but we'll see.
even if the 5080 has 16Gb of VRAM vs 24GB on the 4090, the 5080 will have the faster GDDR7 memory, which has significant speed improvements over GDDR6

so its possible the prices for the 40 series will tank, as the 50 series will have a new architecture better ray tracing with that AI ting, will annihilate the 40 series, so those who have the 20 series can bag a 40 series for dirt cheap

its the early early adopters that will fight on release day for day one privilege, I reckon the 50 series will do something special like when RTX came out over GTX

November coming soon, and with the current BS economy these cards will be priced high, if the 4090 was £2000+ like the 4090 strix at 2400 quid I can imagine the 5090 being higher

Soldato
Geez you come out with some rubbish. The power brick performs the same operation as built in AC/DC components, lol.

Christ you never can just admit you talk rubbish. A DC brick is totally insulated in order to be safe, and it generates huge amounts of waste heat all while surrounded by plastic, hence why they fail (a lot). If you've ever bothered to take a monitor apart, and change and power board or AD board, then you'd see they have heatsinks on and then generally also use vents on the monitor case, so convection can do its job to move the heat away, they are also way more efficient. So no there isn't a BRICK inside a monitor you plank.

Man of Honour
Asus monitor power adapters are mostly junk - I scoped one once and the voltage ripple was nuts especially when it warmed up (which was probably partly why the line of monitors it was from were dying regularly).

Soldato
Am guessing AMD doesn't need to sell a load of PC GPU's as there millions of consoles sold with there GPU's in
But then i don't know how much profit AMD makes from each console that sold.
That is not really great business model, you do want to sell as much as possible to maximise your profits. The problem with the console sales are they do not generate the kind of profit nvidia is making with compute cards. They are selling their cards for $20000-$40000 depending on configuration. They are selling bucket loads, AMD cant hope to generate the kind of profit NVidia is getting out of the AI sector. If I were AMD that would be direction I would be focusing on, VERY HIGH profit margins and ever expanding market, the home gpu and commercial gaming market( xbox and sony) just cant generate that kind of profit. Plus the AI scene is going to be huge in 10 years and a market much larger then any console market can ever achieve, right now the console market is paying the bills and keeping lights on for AMD GPU division which is good and should use this opportunity to go heavy in on AI as part of its research bill is already covered.

The other problem is that designing a GPU is very expensive, NVidia spent 10 billion dollars to design Blackwell gpu. AMD don't have that kind of money, intel does.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom