....blame it on video game

Soldato
The makers of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City have been sued by the family of three people killed by a teenage relative, claiming they would not have died if he had never played the violent video game.

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=1004883

Why do americans have a "blame it on someone else" mentality? Is this really gonna get them any where? What happened to parental control and responsibility.....This is a joke.

The lawsuit claims the game trained him how to point and shoot a gun in a way that made him "an extraordinarily effective killer without teaching him any of the constraints or responsibilities needed to inhibit such a killing capacity".

I have played socom for ages now and i dont see the need to think am a killing machine.

Last edited:
Associate
Yup, I also blame parental responsibility. They can't sue Rockstar as there is an 18 certificate or whatever they have in america so i doubt they will have to pay out.

Soldato
OP
The lawsuit claims the game trained him how to point and shoot a gun in a way that made him "an extraordinarily effective killer without teaching him any of the constraints or responsibilities needed to inhibit such a killing capacity".

I am quoting this again as i just remembered something i read not too long ago. Some psychologist argue that playing a video game e.g a shooting game is equivalent to an army in a real war zone on the basis of how the brain work and cordinate the reflexes etc. (or something along those lines) Maybe...MAYBE they might have a point to make on this basis alone?

Soldato
might the boy have wanted to kill his parents anyway?

"i want to sue fernando alonso for showing that renaults can go 200mph around other cars safely and with no penalty, unfortunately i killed 3 people in another car when i crashed my laguna into them."

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH if I don't kill someone on my way home from work, I'm doing badly and I feel down. So the next day I have to kill more moore MOOOOOOOORRRREE!!! :eek:

Mario World shaped a generation of warped murderers, and judging by the fact that guy killed only three people, he's a n00b anyway.

But seriously, it sickens me that people blame the computer gaming industry for these things when seen as fit. The game had a rating for crying out loud, the kid played it and there are numerous disclaimers about and in the game. So how do they get away with it?

Soldato
Psyk said:
If he plays GTA anything like the way I do, then he won't be an effective killer at all. He'd probably accidentally run off a pier and drown.
lol.. im surprised it didnt affect the kids desire to steal a car.. maybe he was pretty naff at GTA?

Soldato
Don't blame it on sunshine
Don't blame it on moonlight
Don't blame it on good times
Blame it on the video game industry

No accountability at all, it's too easy to point the finger at someone else so it's always going to happen.

Soldato
ElRazur said:
Why do americans have a "blame it on someone else" mentality? Is this really gonna get them any where? What happened to parental control and responsibility.....This is a joke.

Maybe because they think they can get huge amounts of money if it's someone else's fault? :)

Soldato
Hold on a minute. Learning to hold down R1 and hit the Circle button teaches you how to point and shoot a gun? Last time I checked, holding and shooting a gun required a bit more skill than that.

Soldato
Tbqh, if video games affected us like this, then we'd end up dead instead of everyone else because we'll be trying to nade/rocket jump across the Atlantic.

Soldato
OP
Al Vallario said:
Hold on a minute. Learning to hold down R1 and hit the Circle button teaches you how to point and shoot a gun? Last time I checked, holding and shooting a gun required a bit more skill than that.

Ladies and gentlemen, it appears the might have a case....

Violent imagery in computer games and on TV increases the risk of young children becoming aggressive and emotionally disturbed, a report says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4275131.stm

Soldato
ElRazur said:
http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=1004883

I have played socom for ages now and i dont see the need to think am a killing machine.

The makers of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City have been sued by the family of three people killed by a teenage relative, claiming they would not have died if he had never played the violent video game.

THat doesn't make sense? How did they sue if they're dead? I must be reading it wrong...

sued by the family of three people killed by a teenage relative

Soldato
It's madness. How many people have played GTA? Millions. One of them kills a few people, and it's automatically the game that drove them to it...

It's more a case of a complete nutjob who plays GTA and kills people anyway as opposed to a perfectly normal person playing GTA and being turned into a vicious killer.

Soldato
typical, we've had somthing bad (realy bad) happen to us, WHO CAN WE SUE?
oh he played DOOM, lets sue ID, he played GTA lets sue them too.

he played WOW too and strangly enough had to dress up as a 8ft tall bipeidal cow with dreads before he killed them with a +10 mace.

Back
Top Bottom