Bloodborne - What am I missing?

Soldato
By the way, The moment in DS1 where you drop the undead burg ladder.... Somewhat mind blowing to realise how tightly the world is designed - an early demonstration of it, as you see it throughout.

Soldato
DS1 level design is probably the best ever. I find them all really interesting but DS1 really nailed it.

It's a masterpiece in level design imo, truely amazing and I don't understand why they haven't tried to chase that sort of layout ever since. It felt so connected but all the games since have felt like a hub area with branching paths

Soldato
It's a great game, and a lot of people love it, but it's understandably not everyone's cup of tea. For this kind of game, repetition is both it's strength and weakeness - if your the kind of player who doesn't doing the same section over and over again, this isn't for you.

Me personally, I enjoyed it for a while, but it requires commitment that unfortunately I just can't give right now. Ten or fifteen years ago I would have devoured this and all the souls games.

Soldato
Am I missing something here? This has to be literally the most over-rated game I think I've ever played in my 25 years as a gamer.
I prefer to think of it as one of the best games to come out in 25 years ;)
Its a great game, but if its your first FROM game then I understand as I felt the same when I first picked up DS1 which also turned out to be one of the best games iv ever played.
I dont know I think perseverance helps a lot here, things do click but it can take time. When the click occurs though, its like a whole new appreciation of what makes a good video game and you wont look at other games in the same way ever again.

You could not be more wrong about the combat though, and I think that's the part you need to figure out to help with the 'click' bc some of the stuff you can do during fights and the combos and dodging is the best out there.
The 30fps sucks ass, I agree on that at least.

Associate
I finally managed to beat Gascoigne... I learnt that dodging behind him was the best way to avoid his attacks. I can barely remember his 2nd stage, it really wasn't too bad. I did have to use the old music box tactic for the final form though.

Getting further through the game and for me, this isn't a game I can sit down and play hours. Eventually I get frustrated at something and feel the need to put it down. But at least I can now progress and see what the rest of the game has to offer. I never noticed that there was a forge in the Hunter's Dream either. And I was wondering how weapons could be repaired... let alone be improved.

Soldato
I loved this game. Phenomenal and exhilerating. Beautiful level design altho similar to DS1... felt like the latter levels were a bit disjointed.

Soldato
Couldn't get on with this game. Deleted it not long after installing it both because I wasn't blown away like I thought I would be and because I needed room for something else. The frame rate made my eyes bleed and the movement, controls and game pace all just felt slow and clunky. That said I got it not long after my PS4 so coming from a gaming PC with 120hz capability I had some adjusting to do, both in terms of adjusting to controllers but also making my eyes work having spent a large portion of my gaming life at higher FPS. Still have some issues now, particulalry if I go from a higher FPS game to a lower one, but after half an hour or so I'm OK.

All that said, I generally accept that it is probably a good game that I just need to work with. So I bought the GOTY digital copy in the sale! :p I will go back to it and give it a proper go now that I am more used to the PS4. It's definitely on my to do list!

Soldato
So this thread inspired me to give bloodborne another go as I felt like a break from HZD. I was expecting to have to start again as my first play was on a disc version but my current copy is GOTY digital (I got stung on witcher 3 in the same way with saves not being available).

But I booted up the game and there was my profile / save from 2 years ago. Truly I was like "no way!", particularly because I had only played it for an hour and 10 mins originally!!

So anyway I have picked up from where I left off in central yharnam and immediately got reminded of how tricky this game can be.

But after an hour I had made progress and was getting a feel for the movement and combat.

I died quite a few times but I now know what to do and when. Also started using my weapon 2 handed which demolishes most things pretty easily!

Playing this now feels very different for me than it did 2 years ago. Strange how time can change things a bit. I also thinking coming out of 65hrs of HZD has got me more in tune with dosging and rolling and multi tasking in combat, which is something that was more alien to me as a relatively new PS4 owner 2 years ago.

Now I need to bash out HZD so I can give Bloodborne a proper play, lol :p

Soldato
Nope, this is just utter rubbish I'm afraid.

It's ok to be frustrated by the game, it's design and how unforgiving it can feel at the start but when you turn to bashing the game's performance, controls and camera you're clutching at straws.

The controls are responsive, the camera points wherever you want it to and, bar some frame pacing issues in Yharnam, the game is perfectly playable.

I've played it through several times now, sunk over 120 hours in to the game and it's an absolute joy to play. It doesn't hold your hand and feels brutally unfair when you start but when you learn how to play the game it opens up, gets easier and feels very rewarding.

Stick with it and prepare to change your opinion or go back to one of the mainstream 'everyone's a winner' games that litter the market.

Listen to this OP. I do think Bloodbourne is not as good as any of the Souls games however, the art style I just don't like. I understand your frustration and trust me, you aren't the first and you won't be the last to bash it due to not being accustomed to a Souls type game. No other game is as satisfying as a Souls game, or a good Bloodbourne session, once you've learnt the ropes. I had no issues with the controls or framerates interfering with my performance, however I do agree with the camera angle problems that do occur.

Back
Top Bottom