Blowover

Soldato
What actually is a blowover?

Is it just where the top layer of paint is sanded down and then a fresh layer applied, or do they smooth the surface over filling in any gaps?

Want to get my bonnet resprayed and the passenger side rear quarter panel has a few dings in it.

Cheers. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cheers guys.

eidolon, for £300, I'd expect at least a half decent paint job. What should I expect to pay to have my bonnet resprayed, if done professionally?

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Well, my bonnet has a few stone chips (repaired with a touch up pen, so looks messy), but that's about it. There are no dings/major scratches... I'll actually get a buffer on it before I resort to getting it resprayed.

eidolon, wow £2000. Although, I'm guessing that was for a full respray? Is it you or Will Gill who had the purple R5? I'm not looking to get the whole car resprayed (although a bright yellow car is mighty tempting :D) so could just get a cheap bonnet and remove mine.

Si, the rubber seals you mentioned... are they the ones around the lip on the wheel arch? I removed mine the other week to get rid of any moisture/mud and haven't put them back on yet. I'm going to coat the lip in underseal/waxoyl before I put the seals back on.

My step-dad took his old car to a bodyshop about 5 miles from the house. They charged £250 to repair a small dent. The final result was fantastic.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for all the replies guys.

I'll get a few quotes for respraying when I go for quotes on the welding. Maybe I'll even get a discount if I have it all done at the same time.

I don't mind paying £600 for the welding and spraying if it's going to look good and last.

/Awaits "it's only a Rover" comments :p

Soldato
OP
djbenjo said:
What welding you planning on having done? :)

Both rear sills :(

You know the side spats on the GSi's... well I removed them and started poking away at the metal underneath.

Water had obviously collected there over time and the sill had corroded away. Scary thing is, I'd never have known how bad it was if I hadn't removed the spat.

Also, the drivers rear arch needs a bit of welding. Will get a few pics tonight.

Only good news so far is that I've managed to do a decent job of repairing the rust around the indicator on the front wing. Basically went at it with sand paper to get rid of all of the rust, then treated it and filled it in with Isopon. Just got to sand it down and then I can paint it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
lol, cheers Jonny :D

That's true about the price though. I sometimes wish I'd kept the 214 now. Sure, it wasn't anything special, and my plans to drop a T16 in it probably weren't as easy as I thought, but at least the bodywork on that was pretty damn awesome.

But still, I bought this car knowing that it had a bit of rust here and there. It didn't turn out to be the bargain I thought it was, but I'm all up for doing the mechanical side of things myself which will save me money that could go towards getting the bodywork sorted.

Meh, and I still prefer Nightfire Red :(

Back
Top Bottom