Blu Ray Player for Samsung Sero TV

Associate
I’ve just bought a Samsung Sero TV I am looking to buy a Blu Ray player to go along with it that also plays DVDs. Any suggestions please?

Man of Honour
Samsung doesn't make Blu-ray players anymore, and even when they did, they were never anything to rave about. Don't worry though, any Blu-ray player will work with your TV, and they'll all play DVD too.

Of the mainstream brands, Panasonic and Sony are where you should be looking. From those two, Panasonic definitely has the edge. It offers 11 models across the DVD, Blu-ray, and 4K UHD player range compared to just five from Sony (2x DVD only, 1x Blu-ray, 2x UHD). The performance is a notch up on like-for-like models too. If you can afford it, THE player to have at the sweet spot between price and performance is the Panasonic DP-UB820.

This is a UHD 4K Blu-ray player, and so it plays DVDs, Blu-rays, and the newest 4K UHD discs. It ticks all the boxes with the HDR video formats, and if you have CDs it does a good job of paying them too. The specs on this thing are incredible. Internally it has the something called the Hollywood Cinema Experience processor - HCX. This is not a gimmick. It works with the TV (your TV, any 4K TV) to improve the playback of UHD discs with HDR10 so that they're closer in performance to the premium HDR10+ and Dolby Vision titles.

Obviously, HCX is more of interest to someone with UHD disc, but there are a few tricks up the player's sleeve relating to Blu-ray and DVD playback. Something useful is the independent picture menus. It's possible to tweak the video settings to help DVD playback look cleaner.

The UB820 has been as high as £399, and £349 for a good portion of this year. It's at a great price at the moment though, post Black Friday. £299.00 That's a bit if a bargain if you want to go te whole hog.

If all you're looking for is decent Blu-ray and DVD playback, then I have a nearly mint BDT160 Blu-ray& DVD player sitting here doing nothing. £30 + delivery, and I'll throw in a HDMI cable.

Associate
I too would go for the Pana UB820, had my one for a couple of years now, have it running into a Sony 4k projector. With the dynamic tone mapping built into the player it's a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Have a fully modded Panasonic UB820. Does both DVD and Bluray as region free. Yes, it costs more to do that, but I have a nice selection of imported Blurays so it's worth it for me. Also disables all the user prohibited actions too, so unskippable things are no more. :D

UB450 is very much a cut down version. It's still good, but the upscaling isn't as good and the HDR Optimizer is the big missing thing.

Associate
OP
Any recommendations on a stand or a unit as the only issue with the Sero is it’s a TV on a stand already. I’m not keen on floating shelves and don’t want something too big.

Soldato
Go on admit it you have the tv locked in this position for big screen tik tok memes

jhgisI0l.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom