Blurred writing on the oculus rift?!

Associate
Ok so I have purchased an oculus rift. Been playing some games and have it all set up.

My graphics is a 1080msi watercooled and an i7 processor.

Ok so when I first went on and it said move the eye things so the horizontal lines don't become blurred, however I could never stop it from being blurred.

So later when I got to the menu the writing isn't soooo hard to read, it is all very blurred and I have to really squint to just make it out. It doesn't make a difference if I am looking at the writing at an angle or straight on it doesn't change the amount of blur.

I know the rift doesn't have huge amounts of resolution but I know that this blurring is not to do with that, because it's way too blurred.

Has anyone any ideas of what I have done wrong or how I could rectify it?

Associate
I had the vive and i had to adjust the headset so i could focus - its the distance between your eyes - everyones distance is different and you should be able to adjust it. Text won't be as clear as it is on a monitor though, that's the problem with firs gen VR in general the graphics quality is pants unless its cartoonish like.

Associate
OP
When I adjust the distance between my eyes I never see any difference, I can go completely wide to narrow and between and it all seems to be blurred

Associate
What helped me was adjusting the straps to be super tight that holds it on your head very firm- give it a try. does the text get less blurry if you push the front of it onto your head with a lil bit of force? if so strap tightening is what you need.

Associate
Just to check, but do you wear glasses normally for any sort of viewing? Some people assume that because the screen is directly in front of you face, if you can, for example, read a book without glasses then you won't need them. However, the Rift lenses focuses your virtual vision at around 2m away. If you can see clearly in real life at a distance of 2m, you should be fine. If you can't, you'll need glasses or contacts when using your Rift.

Associate
Is usually positioning. Try moving the headset up and down on your face to find where it's sharpest
Agreed. Unless your pupil is directly in line with the centre of the lenses you'll get blurring. For new users I tend to have to ask them to hold the headset in place where it's not blurry then adjust the strap to hold it in that position.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help I will try again with the rift.
I will try pushing it up and down my face and see what happens.

I will reply to say how it goes

Associate
Up, down, don't ignore left and right, and you can also tilt the thing up and down on its strap. All of these will make a difference in clarity, you really need to be dead center (the tilt is mostly for best comfort though).

Soldato
I get this on Elite. The funny thing is if I lean in closer to the writing it becomes clearer. Then as I back off it goes out of focus again.

Maybe I need glassses

Associate
Anyone thinking of getting a Vr hmd.... Get pimax 8k

Yes, because that's a refined product which is available now, at low cost and has great software ...

The software for the original Pimax is apparently atrocious. For the Pimax 8K you'll need a pretty beefy machine to drive it well (dual 1080Ti apparently), it's far from out yet, and aside from that you'll also need the Lighthouse trackers as an additional cost. And if the software is going to be of similar quality ... meh. I'm going to wait for proper reviews etc.

Permabanned
Anyone thinking of getting a Vr hmd.... Get pimax 8k

Maybe in a 12months time. They have a lot of work to do on supporting existing titles and store fronts first. I'd also like to see them add surround sound, at the moment audio is an upgrade which looks like the Vive DAS and is still only stereo.

Back
Top Bottom