BMW 325i 2005 misfire

Soldato
Hi all on the way home tonight my car started misfiring. At low revs the power was poor and the idle really bad it was nearly cutting out.

I managed to get it home as it still could drive at normal revs, switched it all off and restarted car and it seemed stable again.

Thinking possibly ignition coil.

I need to get a code reader, anyone know what cheapish reader I can get which works with BMW E90 2005?

Thanks.

Caporegime
Could be so many things TBH. Bad/no spark, issue with the fuel pump or injectors, bad fuel or even low fuel.

As for the code reader, no idea!!

Don
You can use one of the many OBD2 apps available for your phone with a Bluetooth dongle.

Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ Bluetooth

Is a decent one that is supposed by generic code reading apps like "Torque" which may give you enough information to find the problem, but is also supported by other apps such as Carista, as well as BMW specific coding and diagnostics like Bimmercode / Bimmerlink

Soldato
OP
You can use one of the many OBD2 apps available for your phone with a Bluetooth dongle.

Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ Bluetooth

Is a decent one that is supposed by generic code reading apps like "Torque" which may give you enough information to find the problem, but is also supported by other apps such as Carista, as well as BMW specific coding and diagnostics like Bimmercode / Bimmerlink

Thanks, ordered.

Permabanned
My moneys on a coilpack.
When you read the codes, note down which coilpack has the error. Turn the car off, swap that coilpack to a different cylinder, re-read the error, the code should now say it's a different cylinders coilpack is at fault ;) That way you isolate it easily and know which one to replace :)

Just fit a good OEM second hand one, don't buy junk from China. The last thing you want to sacrafise quality on is anything engine/sensor related :)

If you can't find the problem in your cheap code reader, you'll want to become friends with someone with the proper BMW INPA/ISTA software, as a lot of these cheap code readers won't go deep enough, and some wrongly will report the incorrect fault depending on how deep the problem is, for example when a ecu module is faulty, often the cheap code readers will just blame it on a sensor versus the ecu module itself that controls that sensor.

Also be aware, with anything E9X/E6X onwards, reading the codes/programming without a proper trickle charging power supply (that is what's used at BMW etc etc) majorly runs the risk of flattening your battery, depending on what it is you're doing, and frying the ecu modules...

For this you're probably fine to quickly look and disconnect it, as a cheap reader won't go as deep, but for example using the proper software suite, rinses the battery.
I have seen many people fry ecu modules via incorrect sustained voltages when programming without a power supply system attached - and no a jump start kit will not do the job in this case.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Cylinders 1 and 6 have had coil packs replaced already according to the service history.

If its a coil pack I will just replace all 6 again they are around £35 each.
Doesn't matter, they can still fail at any time. Were they new when replaced originally, if not then yeah second hand will obviously fail quicker due to age.

£35 each doesn't sound like genuine parts unless second hand. Don't fit crap from china/non genuine.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Jesus that's cheap, that's awesome! I've never bought any new for my beamers, as me and my mates break them for parts so always have second hand spares!
The last time I looked, they were disgusting money. Amazing!
Its these:

Anyway Im speculating, I haven't confirmed the cause yet. Waiting for code reader to arrive.

Permabanned
Its these:

Anyway Im speculating, I haven't confirmed the cause yet. Waiting for code reader to arrive.
Yeah my moneys on it's a coilpack, usually is. Nice and easy fix :) Fingers crossed for you mate.

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom