BMW 330e owners thoughts?

Associate
I'm probably about to buy a BMW 330e M Sport Touring (9 months old BMW approved used). I'm changing from a very old 525d, which I love, but the 330e is quite a different beast.

If you drive one I was just wondering what you think of it, how you get on with the hybrid electric arrangement, etc?

I think they are quite good, although the smaller fuel tank is annoying. Even without a fully charged battery it works well as a conventional hybrid and still has limited electric drive at low speeds.

Last edited:
What Fox said, plus the fact the boot is noticeably smaller due to the batteries. Do you need a hybrid? A 330i is also rather good and extremely frugal if you want to be.

I ran a G20 330e for nearly 4 years and 94k miles. Great car, lots of power, great handling, build quality, seating position and cracking economy. 55mpg on a run if you start with a full charge. Tech on even the earlier ones is rock solid, the 23/24 models had the newer I-drive, which i think is brilliant, but they shrunk the auto gearlever, It was nice to have somewhere to put my hand on:p

You get 26-30 miles on a full charge in the summer and 17-20 in the colder months. Bad bits are the tiny boot and tiny 40l fuel tank. To be fair the tiny fuel tank prepared me for the full EV quite well :p

I had zero problems with mine, was the most reliable car i owned, and ive had A4,Accord,Volvo diesels etc.

But i wouldn't buy one right now, the proper face-lift is due to be out very soon, and its got a bigger battery and 7kw charging, so much more usable as an EV if thats your thing.

What Fox said, plus the fact the boot is noticeably smaller due to the batteries. Do you need a hybrid? A 330i is also rather good and extremely frugal if you want to be.

If he's buying a nearly new one then a 330i unfortunately won't be an option.

But i wouldn't buy one right now, the proper face-lift is due to be out very soon, and its got a bigger battery and 7kw charging, so much more usable as an EV if thats your thing

The last facelift was released only a few months ago. The new 3 series isn't due for several years.

thought the bigger battery 330e was now available new

Have previously discussed get a 3 year old 330e/290bhp to replace my current touring , they seem to depreciate greater than 320i, and are numerous from the company car bik 'deal';
some of that depreciation is the limited 6yr/60K battery warranty (or thereabouts)
I'm not sure that risk offsets the reduced running cost, for me.

If he's buying a nearly new one then a 330i unfortunately won't be an option.
Oh wow they've really narrowed down the choice in the UK. No 330i, 320e or diesels...

M340i it is then ;)

Last edited:
The UK BMW engine range is now very poor, generally only one normal petrol offering in each range.

New 5 series is great, unless you want a plug in hybrid you can only have a 520i.

• Angry
Reactions: mjt
I ran a G20 330e for nearly 4 years and 94k miles. Great car, lots of power, great handling, build quality, seating position and cracking economy. 55mpg on a run if you start with a full charge. Tech on even the earlier ones is rock solid, the 23/24 models had the newer I-drive, which i think is brilliant, but they shrunk the auto gearlever, It was nice to have somewhere to put my hand on:p

You get 26-30 miles on a full charge in the summer and 17-20 in the colder months. Bad bits are the tiny boot and tiny 40l fuel tank. To be fair the tiny fuel tank prepared me for the full EV quite well :p

I had zero problems with mine, was the most reliable car i owned, and ive had A4,Accord,Volvo diesels etc.

But i wouldn't buy one right now, the proper face-lift is due to be out very soon, and its got a bigger battery and 7kw charging, so much more usable as an EV if thats your thing.

As above, basically spot on, but the small boot is not really an issue for the touring models. Had 4 suitcases in there for a trip to the airport, with room to spare.

This is mine (click to enlarge):
330e1LARGE.jpg

And the boot space:
330e003.jpg

Had it nearly 4 months now, on a 70 plate. Just went through its MOT last week, nothing reported.

Changed from my brilliant old 750i as am now doing a short school runs in the AM, and doing it on all electric rather than the V8 :D

I do longer runs to airports and down south every now and again, and its been really great so far :) I came back from East Midlands airport last night, 62 miles, and had 18miles of range at the start, drove on battery for most of that 18miles, switched over to battery charge mode whilst on the boring motorway bits, and put the battery back up to 100%, so I could hoon it a bit on the last section of the journey.

Overall, reported 46.7mpg for that trip, and I was not being gently with the throttle for the last 30 miles!

Despite the smaller tank, I am mostly only filling it up once a month, and its made a huge saving as I plug it in every time I park, and drive around mostly on electric locally.

Last edited:
It's worth remembering though that none of the 3 series are particularly bad on fuel, that 46 might sound impressive in isolation but my last motorway journey in my M340i also returned 46.

I am not convinced that the fuel economy makes sense on its own as a reason to buy one, but I did like the way they drive and the electric power at low speed was nice even without a fully charged battery.

Realistically though if you're buying an almost new one you have no choice anyway as they don't do the 330i anymore so you're left with the less powerful 320i if you want a petrol one.

But for people buying older ones it's worth thinking about the 330i as well.

Last edited:
I bought one a couple of months ago and I'm loving it. It's a great car, driving lovely, and if you use the battery, it's extremely economical.

You have to charge it though.

I basically drive mine on electricity only, but as an example - yesterday I drove 110 miles each way to Southampton. I charged the battery, put it on Hybrid mode (standard, not super eco mode or whatever) and set the battery target to 50%.

When I got home (220 total), I had used less than a quarter of the tank of petrol. It's great - that's about £10 to go to Southampton and back.

So I would go for it, but you really have to remember the electric.

That's well over 100mpg which even with a full battery at the start on a journey of that length is surely not possible.

The car will tell you exactly what fuel economy it has done so trying to guess how far it went on £10 isn't really worth doing :D

Last edited:
The problem is that it's skewed when you use mainly electric for a trip.
I get over 1000mpg on some trips from the computer!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241018_145445_My BMW.jpg
    Screenshot_20241018_145445_My BMW.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 11
I’ve got a 23 plate 330e Msport Pro Touring in Brooklyn grey and the 19” alloys.

It’s the best car I’ve ever driven. It’s also a hoot when you gun it in xtraboost mode.

Interior is wonderful, the infotainment superb and the boot just about enough for a family of 4.

Looks lovely too.

The problem is that it's skewed when you use mainly electric for a trip.
I get over 1000mpg on some trips from the computer!

Yes but not on 220 mile trips - you can get those sort of figures from short trips where the battery does almost all the work for you. Your example is 15 miles. This is the ideal use case for such a car - because you start each day charged and shorter trips like that will get a lot of assistance from the battery.

But on a 220 mile round trip it's not going to do 100mpg. The best I've managed on longer trips is 50-60 or so, which is still good, but its half what he was claiming.

I bought one a couple of months ago and I'm loving it. It's a great car, driving lovely, and if you use the battery, it's extremely economical.

You have to charge it though.

I basically drive mine on electricity only, but as an example - yesterday I drove 110 miles each way to Southampton. I charged the battery, put it on Hybrid mode (standard, not super eco mode or whatever) and set the battery target to 50%.

When I got home (220 total), I had used less than a quarter of the tank of petrol. It's great - that's about £10 to go to Southampton and back.

So I would go for it, but you really have to remember the electric.

Were you using battery save mode? That’s very inefficient way to charge the battery.

When ever I used the car to maintain a battery charge, the economy wasn’t great. Granted at that time the fuel was 1.50/l.

Were you using battery save mode? That’s very inefficient way to charge the battery.

When ever I used the car to maintain a battery charge, the economy wasn’t great. Granted at that time the fuel was 1.50/l.

I didn't charge it like that, I just didn't want it to drop past 50% knowing I had a long drive home. I know that's not very logical, but it makes me happy.

I've been averaging 65 mpg.

Back
Top Bottom