BMW E36 318 - pros and cons

Soldato
So the Golf is going.

I want something else, different, less chocolate gearboxy and with a bit more power.

Something like an E36 318i perhaps?

Why shouldn't I get one?

Soldato
i'd look at an e30 instead, more of a classic, much nicer imo of course, the e36 i think is too 'run of the mill' a failed drug dealers car. Nothing compared to an E30 or an E46 - this is my opinion only and not to be reflected as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, after all, you wanted opinions :)

Soldato
e30 318is all the way ;)

If you want an e36, get a 318is - nice light 4 pot. If you're going to go for a 6pot, make sure it's at least a 325i, 320i seems a little pointless to me tbh.

Soldato
OP
Matt82 said:
bit of a price drop from mk4 to an e30 innit?

Yeah, looking to sell the Golf and put some cash away in savings then have a cheaper trouble free car for a couple of years until I can afford something nearer the £10k mark.

Soldato
MrSix said:
Yeah, looking to sell the Golf and put some cash away in savings then have a cheaper trouble free car for a couple of years until I can afford something nearer the £10k mark.

but as long as you expect problems, an e30 is basically old, there will be all sorts of problem due to age

Soldato
OP
Yeah true.

I just want to find myself something 'different' and reliable while staying fun.
I love my Golf, but this gearbox is a constant nag at the back of my mind. Might consider upgrading to the GTI.

Also forgot to mention, I am 18 with 0ncb so insurance is a killer with bigger engined cars at the moment.

It's just the more I think about cars in my price range (£5k and under) it's hard to find something "new" that stands out. It's all older stuff that has depreciated that catches my eye.

Soldato
e30 318iS was same price to insure as any 1.8 3 series for me, but its different over here.

£2k will get you an absolute minter of an e30 iS - go drive one, I did and I was hooked :) They dont depreciate either.

Then again if you're looking for bargain basement and trouble free motoring, a £300 1.8 Mondeo might be the way to go.

Soldato
MrSix said:
NOOOOOO!!!!

Not the "m" word.

oi, nowt wrong with a mondeo ;), infact, bmw's are more common than mondeos these days :D

serioulsy though, the E30 has character, is lighter and better looking than the E36, you don't see many on the roads these days so not so common as the E36 or the E46.

Soldato
320 e30 coupe. 6cyl sound, not TOO thirsty (do you care about how much it drinks?) i have a 1995 golf, it does my head in having to change bits that have died due to old age, currently putting poly bushes in. an older e30 will most likely be worse

so what exactly did you do to the box on your golf anyway?

Soldato
320 e30 is the worst choice - all the disadvantages of a 6cyl (thirst, weight) without most of the advantages - only good thing = sound.

318is handles better, is a lot less thirsty (38mpg easy), much more desirable and sexy imho :)

That said - good 320's are still a fair bit cheaper than a good 318is.

Have you considered a mk2 golf gti?

Soldato
OP
Okay, been having a look around and it seems that I could pick up a nice MR2 for around £3k.

Just had a chat with lordmike and it appears I could insure a Rev4 for a little over a grand...which is fine.

Back
Top Bottom