BMW M140i owners

Associate
Test drove one today and they've given me a pretty good deal on my GTD. Made the mistake of going for another diesel, tried a Racechip and it just wasnt cutting it.

It's a 66 plate, 33k miles, BMW approved used with a years warranty. Was really impressed with the car...

Big question is, what are these cars like on fuel? My daily commute is 25 miles mostly motorway and A Road, surely it should be good for 30mpg plus on a run?

Are the servicing costs reasonable too?

Anything else worth mentioning about them?

Associate
OP
Thanks. It's a manual car, I believe they stopped offering manuals from 2017.

I did give it some beans today in Sport (Sport Plus wasn't allowed on the test drive) and I did feel a little squirm from the back end but the car drove straight. Kept checking what gear I was in, thinking I was still in forth with the pull it had from sixth.

Associate
OP
I do ~25mpg average and drive 20 miles a day almost entirely in stop start city traffic. Same run when there is very little traffic is >30mpg.

Motorway runs are easily >30mpg even at >85mph. Motorway/A roads at ~70mph or less should see high 30s.

This is with a manual, so an automatic with longer gears should be even better.

The PSS tyres whilst very good in the warm and dry, can be slippery in the cold especially.

Servicing costs are fine once over 3 years old.

PSS? Pilots Super Sports?

Did check the tyres and it currently has Dunlop SP Sport Max on the rears and Bridgestone up front.

Associate
OP
I've absolutely **** the bed on this car and went for a newer Golf GTi. I may live to regret it but I'm used to running company diesel cars and have a heavy right foot.

Thanks for your input, I was undecided right up till half 5 last night when I left the office and bought the Golf.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've absolutely **** the bed on this car and went for a newer Golf GTi. I may live to regret it but I'm used to running company diesel cars and have a heavy right foot.

Thanks for your input, I was undecided right up till half 5 last night when I left the office and bought the Golf.

Well, it's only been 6 months with the Golf but I was annoyed every time I drove it as it wasn't the BMW.

I've been looking constantly and got an amazing trade for the Golf in against an M135i (auto) this time. Was game for either 135/140i but 140s are demanding a premium since I last looked in February.

Estoril Blue, Black leather, sunroof, parking sensors, Pro Nav, folding mirrors, auto, 29k miles and 1 previous owner. Unmarked, new Bridgestone Potenzas all round (not my choice but see how they go).

Pick the car up on Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom