BMW M2 competition, what do you think?

Soldato
I'd consider a M235i, do you think they will hold their current value ?

M135i pre facelift is definitely cheaper to buy though.
They'll be OK, but nothing special in terms of holding their value. Just look at the WBAC valuations on them. The used prices took an absolute pounding between September 2017 and January 2018 because the crazy deals on brand new M140i/M240i came back.

Soldato
The wheels look fairly tasteless although not as bad as current m5. I also hope that unlike the standard m2 they sort out the uneven ride height between f/r. It's great that they're using those widened arches but it doesn't matter when it looks as though the front end is in some form of supercar raised lip mode constantly. It's even worse when the power goes down. Value will hold very well no doubt and credit for manual with optional auto.

Soldato
OP
Test drove an M2 was very nice.
Dimensionally a good sized car easy to place. Feels planted and heavier than my R (it IS heavier) more precision in the steering rack and heavier steering but not overly so.
Easily you could Daily one, people that think it is harsh are soft. Tyre noise is up 15-20 % subjectivily over my car.

Power is only 100hp more, felt more like that (and more) and youre at 70-80mph in the blink of an eye. Sounded great.
DCT did a good job in general but it's the second time now on a test drive that a dual clutch auto has left me cold. I would spec with manual.
Harmon kardon is just poor compared to my dynaudio speaker package. Bloated one note bass and a midrange tuned seemingly to female radio type voices/singing. That centre speaker is crap also.

A local dealer did some maths for me on a new build, they had a new car coming but not the spec I wanted.
Mine would be:
6MT
Sunroof
Heated seats and steering wheel
Harmon kardon (absolutely crap IMO) but might have better amps for future upgrades
M-seat belt stitching
Icon LED upgrade
Tinted windows
Folding mirrors

£8k down monthlies £416 for 48 months

This competiton model is really messing with my head.
I much prefer the small muffler that's invisible in the n55 car, the M3/4 one is massive bloat. Not a fan of the mono-kidney grill or widened intake area at the front. Fan of the sports seats though the LCI ones look bad are comfortable at least.

Last edited:
Associate
Test drove an M2 was very nice.
Dimensionally a good sized car easy to place. Feels planted and heavier than my R (it IS heavier) more precision in the steering rack and heavier steering but not overly so.
Easily you could DalDa one, people that think it is harsh are soft. Tyre noise is up 15-20 % subjectivily over my car.

Power is only 100hp more, felt more like that and yoirey at 70-80mph in the blink of an eye. Sounded great.
DCT did a good job in general but it's the second time now on a test drive that a dual clutch auto has left me cold. I would spec with manual.
Harmon kardon is just poor compared to my dynaudio speaker package. Bloated one note bass and a midrange tuned seemingly to female radio type voices/singing. That centre speaker is crap also.

A local dealer did some maths for me on a new build, they had a new car coming but not the spec I wanted.
Mine would be:
6MT
Sunroof
Heated seats and steering wheel
Harmon kardon (absolutely crap IMO) but might have better amps for future upgrades
M-seat belt stitching

£8k down monthlies £416 for 48 months

This competiton model is really messing with my head.
I much prefer the small muffler that's invisible in the n55 car, the M3/4 one is massive bloat. Not a fan of the mono-kidney grill or widened intake area at the front. Fan of the sports seats though the LCI ones look bad are comfortable at least.

How much was the buy option? Doesn’t sound too bad

Soldato
Soldato
I did a carwow quote a few weeks ago on an M2 with pretty much every option fitted

6MT, glass roof, heated seats + wheel, sun protection glass, electric seats, lumbar support, reverse cam, harmon krapdon, comfort access, through load, adaptive LED lights, folding mirrors, enhanced bluetooth and driving assistant

Finance price best was £50353 (that's the amount to finance) at 2.9%APR... was the one you saw a used car?

Soldato
OP
I did a carwow quote a few weeks ago on an M2 with pretty much every option fitted

6MT, glass roof, heated seats + wheel, sun protection glass, electric seats, lumbar support, reverse cam, harmon krapdon, comfort access, through load, adaptive LED lights, folding mirrors, enhanced bluetooth and driving assistant

Finance price best was £50353 (that's the amount to finance) at 2.9%APR... was the one you saw a used car?

No for new build car. Forgot also went for the Icon LED lights too.
Is TRL still active? I've heard of him.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys.

Still tempted to drop an LSD and uprated clutch into my car and stage one remap it and put some four pot brakes on the front for better modulation maybe short shifters and car would be perfect!

Yesterday we had a gas BBQ in the scirocco, big gas bottle, three plants two of which over three ft in length, two plant pots and some compost in there. Such a great car:)

Soldato
OP
TRL got back to me pretty much right away but he's got no build slots left and basically they are dwindling UK wide as the new car is phased in.

For me it's like this

M2 LCI pros:
I like the fact it has LESS power 365bhp more than enough for the road
Front looks better
Better MPG
Sounds better N55 with perf exhaust <3
Currently cheaper and actually available

LCI cons:
I'm a sucker for those M mirrors damn it!
It is being replaced at the end of the day by a likely better performing machine, not that it makes any difference to any of us on the ROAD

M2 competition pros:
Ride MAY be more compliant in general, most likely will handle better
More colour selection
Sports seats

Competition cons:
Worse MPG quoted
Front looks worse IMO
Sold with 1001 trinket BMW perf parts available to add on
Increased cost over the LCI by ~£3000 in the UK
Exhaust muffler hangs low M4 style/sounds worse
Can not currently obtain without deposit

Soldato
How's is this likely to feel in terms of ride quality compared to say a m140i with adaptive suspension? Really like the ride on UK roads with the m140i and could easily be a daily...

Soldato
OP
SO close now to pulling the trigger on the LCi car.

The competition has frankly appalling mpg figures, 28 mpg combined cycle on the manual?!

And yes you can care about economy on a performance car.

I'm just so twitchy with the new car around the corner it alters my convinctions.

Someone tell me what to do.

Back
Top Bottom