Boot loop problem/issue

Associate
Hey I had an old gigabyte z97x gaming 7, 4790k, and 980ti, pc thats been out of use for about a year, but essentially I need it back on not for anything strenuous, it was seemingly stuck in and endless boot loop which I went through all your usual tried a new PSU same issue, 1 sticking the memory all that jazz, finally the mobo had 2 switches on it one for BIOS_SW and one called SB, so the bios set in 1 or 2 the endless booting continues, switches the SB switch from 1 (which meant dual bios) over to 2 (which means single bios) and it now seemingly powers up without switching off, ai just can't get a display feed from it?

I went through putting the graphics card into my own new PC and the graphics card works fine which ruled that out, anyone have any thoughts to why in single bios it seems to work but if back to dual it doesn't when it must have been in dual it's entire life? And how I can get it to work with a damn display to get into bios (as I could then flash update the bios I guess to see if that rectifies the issue?)

Honestly hoping someone experienced has some clue on what I should try here tbh!

Associate
OP
Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery?
I pulled it out, checked it in my battery tester and it's still like a brand new battery in that regard? Tried hitting the cmos switch button (which resets the CMOS I believe with it in both 1 or 2 when in dual bios) and just endless boot cycles until I flick it back to SB 2 (single bios) and then it seemingly holds power, but like I say no display but everything running really weird one ngl!

Associate
OP
Seen a few of these older dual bios boards failing , I would still replace the battery regardless.
weird though as if the board had failed surely it wouldn't all light up and everything be powered on it no? with the lights on indicating which bios its on (mBIOS being main bios not backup) yano what I mean? its so annoying! **** it let me see if I have a CMOS battery around ill try replacing that

Associate
OP
Replaced the battery to no avail, tried it in dual bios mode again with the battery changed and still boots then drops straight back off, so throw it back in single bios mode and its powered but still no display regardless where I place the damn cable urgh (which there was some defined method of making a pc kickout via a specific display! so you know its just not posting!)

Associate
OP
I never did give it 20 should I do this with it in one of the settings where it sits and boot loops? So back switched to dual bios and set to main bios? Iv just left mine so will try it once home, it's honestly fried my brain

Associate
OP
Could there be an issue with the boot files on the ssd/hdd? You can also get boot loops from missing or corrupted efi/mbr files. Try a bootable usb.
Could try that tbf pretty sure the ssd is fine though ill try it in my other PC

Associate
OP
Yup went through the 1 stick approach, and the rest and still nada, not display at all even with the hd and gfx detached so think it must be a mobo issue at this point, maybe it crapped out being sat idle for a year+

Associate
OP
Is there any motherboards still being sold in shops for these sockets? That any of you guys know of? I've got like £130 credit at currys, so failing that I was debating just grabbing a cheapo mobo and cpu from currys know I'll get that £130 discount in essence? Just so this PC can live again, it's only for my sons school work etc and the occasional 2ndry screening a GTA(FiveM) Client so not massively stressful, as I say the PSU seems fine and got it's hard drive, 980ti etc for now that'll run 1080p atleast

Associate
OP
try unplugging the hard drive/ssd and see if it will boot into bios from there with the card you tried in your main pc which works, this eliminates any MBR/boot files from causing it to boot loop
if you can get into the bios from there all you need is a new drive and to install an OS
:)
I'll give that a last try!

Associate
OP
You could just about get a H610 motherboard and a 12100F for that (includes cooler in the box), but it would need ddr4 or ddr5 (depending on the board that you buy).

SHANGZHAOYUAN B85m Pro Motherboard LGA 1150​

Found this for like £69, so was debating just throwing the stuff across so it can boot up and do its thing until I want to actually replace out that full PC for a new one tbh, arrives Friday so we see how that does with all the existing parts!

Back
Top Bottom