Booting speeds

Soldato
Why do some people say their pc boot time is xx amount of seconds, but only count it from the windows logo? I'm considering getting an SSD, but for me, the whole process from pressing the on button from cold to getting to a working desktop, or pressing reboot to then getting back to a working desktop, including the POST time, is what I consider the total time it takes to boot my pc. Why would someone say their pc boots in 10 seconds if they're only taking it from the windows logo, isn't that like saying you're going to time how long it takes to get from your house to a friend 100 miles away and only starting the timing past some service station 60 miles into your journey?

Soldato
OP
Because everything before the windows logo is dependent on the board so makes the test unfair if you take it into account.

Ok, that's great for test purposes. But if it takes you 10 seconds from windows to desktop, but 25 seconds from post to desktop, and someone asks you how long is it going to take to boot your pc up from cold/off, what are you going to tell him, 10 seconds or 25 seconds? Surely the important thing to know is the complete process from off to desktop?

Soldato
OP
My i5 laptop boots in 52 seconds.

My desktop however, 83 seconds :(
It used to be 59 seconds. Time to buy a Crucial M4 64GB SSD and clean W7 reinstall methinks.
The novelty of 20 to 40 second boot times would be amazing to experience.

Back
Top Bottom