bootstrap annoyance..

Associate
I have recently started using it but there is too much code to remember and I find myself going to the site and copying pasting & then replacing it with my code. This isn't appealing to me as I am not learning anything...

How do you guys use it?

fez

fez

Caporegime
I have used it in the past and I currently use an admin theme based on it.

Like everything that you do it will usually take a while to become au fait with it all. What is concerning you about having to refer back to the documentation so often?

The basic rows and columns are quite easy to remember but there is a lot of stuff that is useful in certain cases but will probably require a quick refresher.

POB

POB

Soldato
I'm not a designer, but found Boot Strap straight forward.

Helps if the editor you are using has intellisense and gives you the classes as you start typing.

However I've had issues with creating forms, by default I don't like the sizes and it seems desperate to switch to a mobile layout too early.

Associate
use bootstrap and still copy and paste from the examples, since my brain seems to be in the homer mode, everything new learned pushes something else out!

the responsive layout should take care of everything for mobile/tablet, you can change the viewport ratio in the header to change the scaling.

Soldato
I have recently started using it but there is too much code to remember and I find myself going to the site and copying pasting & then replacing it with my code. This isn't appealing to me as I am not learning anything...

How do you guys use it?

I have been using bootstrap in anger now for probably 6 months or so and even now I refer to the documentation on some of the more complex bits and pieces and I still can't seem to get the scrollspy to work (come on bootstrap give us a decent guide/example for it) .

Once you get your head around the basics e.g the grid system, forms and panels then the rest kind of takes care of itself.

At times it does seem a bit verbose but I understand why things are done the way they are, otherwise the layout goes a bit mental when you suddenly put a class in a place the framework wasn't expecting it to be.

Associate
I find I remember a lot of the general stuff, e.g. the grid system, typography, lists, buttons etc.

But when it comes to the more complicated stuff I have to refer back to the documentation, but hey, that's what it's there for right? :)

I think bootstrap has to be so verbose because of the CSS precedence rules. I find once I've done something similar somewhere, it's pretty much a copy, paste and replace job for elsewhere.

Soldato

How do you guys use it?

If you want to learn CSS/Javascript then you shouldn't really use Bootstrap, instead you should make something similar, a CSS Framework. I have been teaching my GF to do CSS/JS and I made her a simple HTML page with a lot of sections similar to the bootstrap CSS page, but some of the HTML was broken or missing and a comment to just fill it in e.g. We need a select option here with values XYZ.

And then we slowly just went through all the sections, e.g. one day we made a Navigation Bar and went through the different ways to get it inline e.g. display:inline-block, floats and so on. We just did that for a few weeks and she picked up most of the things and now is making a website on her own, and now uses bootstrap for quick prototyping.

Soldato
If you are not learning anything/ struggling to pick up the concepts then this is a great book as a starter for ten:

http://www.htmlandcssbook.com/

Its a great book as a visual tool and explains the css and html tags really well with full colour examples.

I'm waiting for the Jquery/javascript book to be released (has been over a year now since I ordered it) but it helped me a lot while I was struggling with some of the more complex css techniques and understanding why some of the css I had written in the past didn't work.

Back
Top Bottom