Bourbon, Rye and American Whiskey

Soldato
Discuss.

I used to drink Scotch single malt, over the last 6 months or so, I'm converted, say what you will but honestly I think the American's do it better.

Drinking Wild Turkey today which ain't bad, but Bulleit mmm, Maker's Mark also, and Knob Creek.

Also got a bottle of Buffalo Trace.

**************************EDIT*****************************

So I decided to list the ones I have tried so far and rank them in order. This may be subject to further change :) - the order takes price into account, I've tried a couple of expensive bottles I was not impressed with, Elijah Craig for example, plus the "premium versions" of Wild Turkey and Markers Mark are not worth the extra money. Best to worst. They are the basic versions, unless noted otherwise.

EDIT 2: Colour banded, although still in order I've tried to group them into 4 categories as well.You'll notice the odd one the colour is out of sinc, but that because its been put into that order with price factored in. Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select for example actually is pretty good, but definately not worth the £45 price tag. Hope that all makes sense, if not I dont care make your own bloody list :)

Jefferson's very small batch
Makers Mark

John B. Stetson
Woodford Reserve
1792 Small Batch
Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage
Bulleit

War Eagle
Pennypacker
Knob Creek
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Jack Daniels Gentleman Jack
Wild Turkey Longbranch
Jack Daniels Legacy Edition (all numbers/music edition)
Black Feather
Old Williamsburg
Whiskey Theif Bourbon
Buffalo Trace
Four Roses
Wild Turkey
Yellowstone Select
Fighting **** (male chicken)

Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select
Peaky Blinders Bourbon
Rebel Yell
Johnny Drum
Early Times Old Reserve
Henry McKenna
Daddy Rack
Eagle Rare
American Eagle 4 Year
James Cree's Cattle Ranch
Basil Hayden's
Four Roses Small Batch
Jack Daniel's Rye
Sazerac Rye

Bowsaw American Whiskey
G&W Private Stock

Tincup
Jack Daniels Bonded

Brough Brothers
Old Forrester
Ezra Brooks

Makers Mark 46
Bulleit Rye
Elijah Craig
Mellow Corn
WIld Turkey 101

Bulleit 10 year
Jack Daniels Master Distiller no 6
Louisville Kentucky Style

Benchmark McAfee's
Samuel Joe's
Kentucky's Old Reserve
Evan Williams Extra Aged (black bottle)
Jim Beam Double Oak
Jack Daniels
Jim Beam

Old Samuel
Missouri Ridge
Buffalo Trace White Dog Rye Mash

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Nice tipples. Glad you didn't say Jack Daniels.... urgh!

I do scotch or bourbon as lpng as they are of a decent calibre, but mainly I've always been a brandy man.

Soldato
This I couldn't imagine going off something like Talisker or Longrow.

Scotch is nicer to sip on its own and Bourbon is nicer to mix IMO.

Old fashioned ftw.

...Though OP really knows nothing about Bourbon outside of crap supermarkets looking at his samples.

Soldato
I’ve never had a bourbon with the depth and complexity of most Islay or Speyside whiskies.

If you’ve only ever had highland or blends then I could maybe see where you’re coming from, but for me, most bourbons are far too sweet.

Soldato
Discuss.

I used to drink Scotch single malt, over the last 6 months or so, I'm converted, say what you will but honestly I think the American's do it better.

Drinking Wild Turkey today which ain't bad, but Bulleit mmm, Maker's Mark also, and Knob Creek.

Also got a bottle of Buffalo Trace.

After Buffalo Trace all other bourbons you can find in UK taste crap. (normal priced ones).

Last edited:
Soldato
I really do not like scotch whisky at all, it makes me want to puke.

No offense to people that do like it, that's just how my body reacts.

Bourbon I don't mind.
Have you only tried peated scotch or something? Although I love my whiskey, I don't really like peated/smoky whiskey as I find it too medicinal. Feels like you've had too much after the first serving. I prefer something like Auchentoshan or Macallan. Oaky, vanilla, buttery whiskies.

Man of Honour
After Buffalo Trace all other bourbons you can find in UK taste crap. (normal priced ones).

I like Buffalo Trace, also Old Forester, I can resort to Jim Beam sometimes, but I’m wary of Jack Daniel’s.
I was in a bar in New York City once, and after two or three double Jack’s, with no water backing it, I felt a real buzz coming on.
Maybe I hadn’t eaten, I don’t know, I can't recall, but I knew that I had to put the brakes on.
I used my head, and switched to ginger ale, until I was absolutely sure that I could get off the bar stool, and put one foot in front of the other walking toward the door, without swaying or holding on to the back of a chair.
I like Crown Royal, although that’s a Canadian whisky, I also like Canadian Club, which is a rye whisky, (I think).
Years ago, I’d drink scotch, Teachers, Johnny Walker, Cutty Sark, etc., I did this right up until the 70s, when I went to Poland with my then girlfriend, a Polish girl.
I can’t remember what whisky cost in Poznan, let’s say £1 per shot, but it was expensive compared to London.
My girlfriend said, “Why not try the national tipple, vodka.”
This was around peanuts for a shot, I tried it, got totally wasted, and never looked back.
If I’m out with the guys, it’s Absolut, Stolychnya, or maybe Smirnoff all the way, but I still enjoy the taste of bourbon, just to nurse and savour, around sensible conversation.

Soldato
This was around peanuts for a shot, I tried it, got totally wasted, and never looked back.
Sounds like good scotch isn't for you. Stick with the vodka and alcopops. Have you tried cider in the park? I heard you get a real buzz from the distinct possibility of the rozzers turning up. Some bottles go charmingly well in an ensemble with some tracky bottoms and a cap.

Man of Honour
Sounds like good scotch isn't for you. Stick with the vodka and alcopops. Have you tried cider in the park? I heard you get a real buzz from the distinct possibility of the rozzers turning up. Some bottles go charmingly well in an ensemble with some tracky bottoms and a cap.

Fair enough Scam, I REALLY worded that wrong, I guess what I was trying to convey, was that whisky was expensive in Poland, probably due to it having to be imported.
So it was suggested that I try the national tipple, vodka.
I did, got a humongous buzz, and never looked back, from then on it was vodka all the way.
The tracky comment made me smile, I‘d be as likely to be seen in them, as be seen in a Paraguayan Admiral’s uniform, with a copy of the Sun under my arm.

Back
Top Bottom