Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like this monumentally overlooks the magnitude of what just happened.

To just suck it up and move on seems like a delusionally calm response.

Yup. And it hasn't really 'happened' yet either.

We still need to extricate ourselves from the EU, and voicing concerns about the process, especially in large movements, can help sway our end of negotiations.

They need to tailor the break to what the country wants/needs.

And, of course, we don't know yet if it will definitely go ahead.

that is the worst thing? a tiny minority of idiots have said some nasty things and some skinheads have put up a banner... all of which has been jumped on by the media

So far..and what do you think it's done for the image of Britain?

That we're a tolerant and diverse nation? Or..

Last edited:
that is the worst thing? a tiny minority of idiots have said some nasty things and some skinheads have put up a banner... all of which has been jumped on by the media

It has damaged our image globally, as a progressive, tolerant nation.

On Friday a friend from abroad phoned me up and said "Now people think Britain is racist". This sentiment has been echoed by other friends in the states and Australia. It is not something that can be easily undone, either.

Has this really just started happening though or has it always been happening but now every single case is being linked to the vote by remainers?

It's being linked to the vote because of the graffiti and posters that go on about 'taking our country back' and cries of 'we voted leave so get out' and 'so when are you leaving?'

Has this really just started happening though or has it always been happening but now every single case is being linked to the vote by remainers?

Three points:

(a) if it was already happening we'd have known about it long ago
(b) the sheer speed and scale of the escalation proves that it is new; this phenomenon has only arisen since Brexit
(c) the attackers themselves are citing the Brexit as justification for their actions

So to answer your question: yes, this really just started happening.

going by what's been said in mine and others place of work, this is new. people have felt this way, but now they think they have been given the green light to say it out loud.

just look at the dozen stories in here of what's already happened in workplaces that hasn't happened before.

Not to mention Hollande is coming under increasing pressure to cancel the calais agreement regarding where the border checks are done.

"Je lance un appel à @fhollande et je demande la dénonciation des Accords du #Touquet. #Brexit #Calais 1/2".

The french papers seem sure the camp will move to Kent.

Last edited:
There's a lot of unsettling and worrying stuff all over social media - and it doesn't seem to be limited to certain areas. It seems that some of the mouth breathing idiots that assumed 'take our country back' meant 'be openly racist, we're deporting everyone that's not 3rd generation British and it doesn't matter how you treat them' are doing just that.

Oh, right, thanks. I don't "do" social media, this place is the closest to it I have got, and I only popped in to see what was up with my hard drive ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom