Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Would it be fair to claim that this is neoliberalism eating itself? Three decades of deindustrialisation, leaving public services (inc. education) to fall apart, treating the press as a party political tool to influence the public mood, and finally there was an opportunity to lash out against it.

Suspended
I think the EU are going to use the fact that Scotland want in.

They will invite Scotland in. As a result there will be a second referendum but this time it will be the destruction of the U.K. at stake.

We will vote remain.

Good.

That's a question of perspective. I would view an underhand remain outcome as a disaster.

Soldato
I agree, jokes aside, that Osborne should either lead from the front or step aside for someone willing to take up the challenge. I'll be livid if it emerges that instead of helping even the keel he was manoeuvring in the background to improve his shot at running for leader.

Associate
What on earth are you gibbering about? Why should I support a government I didn't vote for, enacting an instruction I voted against?

I absolutely accept that democracy has spoken and we should now leave the EU. I do not accept that I should suddenly be happy about it, shut up about the idiocy of that decision, or start supporting a government I've always opposed. That's not how democracy works.

Because that is democracy. Not perfect but it is what we have.

Soldato
We would increasingly have been the thorn in the side of the EU project had we stayed.

As they pushed for ever close union, we would have vetoed or at the least opted out.

This way we can do what we our politicians want, and the EU can do what they their politicians want.

Yeah, but who really gives a ****? If we can remain part of it, separate ourselves from it in various terms, yet benefit from it, then surely we're the winners. It shows how indispensable we'd become. Instead we've instaged a recession and voted for austerity.

Soldato
True to form she is delusional, the EU does not need another hanger on.

This is true. It's set to lose it third largest contributor. IIRC it netted £10bn (after rebates and the like) from the UK. Only Germany and France contributed more. So it's going to have a black hole in its finances, or going to need to reduce grants and subsidies.

What's more, it seems like leaving is going to hurt the Eurozone economy more than the UK's. The Eurozone economy was already on life support as it was.

Caporegime
a political disaster maybe

but one that may avert a countrywide disaster :eek:

One that wont avert terrorism, you dont think the far right will see that as a damn good reason to take it up a notch?

That would spill over into the continent as well and that will be the end of your liberty.

Soldato
Yeah and next time someone like farage rallies them up they'll **** you again. You shouldn't take solace in the fact they are angry. You should be angry that it's been allowed to get this bad.

Exactly this. it is misplaced anger to blame the ordinary people who were persuaded to vote Leave by disinformation, outright lies and hate rhetoric taking advantage of the extremely difficult economic conditions they have been forced to live under for way too long now.

Who can blame anyone for being angry and disillusioned at being constantly trampled by the privileged classes in this country, squeezed by austerity that wasn't their fault, exploited by zero hours contracts and competing for jobs with lots of migrants undercutting wages. But sadly their anger was misdirected onto the EU by the right wing for their open advantage. That's the real scandal.

I suspect there'll be a lot more anger when such Leavers wake up to the fact they've been manipulated, that there won't be any change to immigration, they won't be spending 350m a week on the NHS, there won't be any replacement for the regional development money currently dished out by the EU. But by then it might be all too late to stop the slide down the toilet bowl, which is where UK politics and the economy are heading if Brexit isn't halted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom