Bricked MBP - Options?

Soldato
I have what I think is a 2020 MBP with the i9 and touch bar. It got infrequent use, and the last time I tried to use it it wouldn’t take power and wouldn’t responded in any way. I took it to a local repair shop and they said they’ve seen that before with this model, and it’s most likely a new logic board. Now the cost of this repair is going to be similar to what I could sell it for, so I’m in two minds as to what to do. Because it gets very occasional use, i’m hesitant to spend the money to use it myself. But then if I get it repaired and then sell it I’m unlikely to make any money from it.

Another option is to sell it broken for about £40 but I’m hesitant to do that as I haven’t cleared my data (it is backed up though).

It seems like my £600 device has been written off my something I had no control over, which is pretty poor for a >£2000 laptop!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Commissario
It seems like my £600 device has been written off my something I had no control over, which is pretty poor for a >£2000 laptop!
If it worked one day and not the next and the logic board has failed, it's a hardware failure, it's not 'bricked'.

I'd be tempted to ask an Apple Store for a second opinion, some of these local repair shops haven't got a clue what they're talking about when it comes to Macs.

Soldato
OP
If it worked one day and not the next and the logic board has failed, it's a hardware failure, it's not 'bricked'.

I'd be tempted to ask an Apple Store for a second opinion, some of these local repair shops haven't got a clue what they're talking about when it comes to Macs.
Apologies, my mistake on the terminology.

I should have mentioned that I did also take it into Apple and they advised a price of c. £600 which would guarantee a repair (I assume they would just replace the logic board).

Commissario
I should have mentioned that I did also take it into Apple and they advised a price of c. £600 which would guarantee a repair (I assume they would just replace the logic board).
Aww damn :(

If you don't need it, I'd just rip it apart, trash any circuit boards and throw it away. If it has FileVault enabled, nothing will be retrievable anyway.

If you need a laptop, it's up to you to decide if you pay the cost of repair or spend a little more and get an Apple Silicon device.

Back
Top Bottom