Bristol Mayoral Vote

Soldato
So Bristol was the only city that voted to change its system to a directly-elected mayor back in May, and today is voting day!

I know we've got a few Bristolians here, so who are you voting for and why? And did you vote yay or nay to the system change back in May?

I voted yay in May and I'll be voting for George Ferguson tonight. I've met him before at a networking event a few years ago and he's a very nice chap and he's done a lot of decent redevelopment for Bristol over the years and seems to have a genuine passion for the place. I also like the idea of an independent mayor and besides him there's no other serious contenders.

This might be a bit too high brow for GD but we'll see :p.

Soldato
OP
Oh, and of course there's the police commissioner which hasn't really made the headlines what with the mayoral vote. I think my vote will go to Pete Levy; he's the only candidate that's had force experience and I personally think that's pretty important.

Soldato
George Ferguson is probably the worst candidate/human in Bristol.

This will just give him more power to carve up the city for the secret handshake brigade.

Nice vote m8.

Associate
Got anything to back up why you think Furguson is a bad vote? I think an independent candidate rather than someone following party lines would be good to have, and hes about the only independent that looks like he can string a coherent sentence together.

Soldato
OP
Secret handshake brigade? Lizard? *tin foil hat*

Don't just slate other people's decisions with unfounded comments, either say who you're voting for and why, back up your posts or leave.

Soldato
My, my.

I guess the inability to recognise when some has their tongue firmly in cheek goes hand in hand by the inability to see through Ferguson's hefty press/marketing campaign.

Do some actual research on him and you might be regretting that vote.

But yes, I'll leave you all to it.

http://images1.pcgamesn.com/seinfeld.gif

Associate
I need to know more about this George Ferguson. All I know about him is what he looks like. A really bad spread in the booklet :/

Soldato
Maybe I'll go and spoil my ballot, later. It's payback for all of those cars with speakers driving past my living room. :p

Soldato
OP
Despite McGray's accusations, I haven't seen any of his marketing or press besides the booklet that was sent out by law featuring all the candidates. I did however know of his name already: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Ferguson_(architect). Since been on his website which states his manifesto etc: http://www.bristol1st.com/

To be honest, apart from the lunatics and two paedos, all the manifestos will be largely the same: more jobs, better transport, stadium and better healthcare yada yada. To that end that's why I'm voting for someone who actually has a history of doing things and a passion in Bristol.

Man of Honour
My, my.

I guess the inability to recognise when some has their tongue firmly in cheek goes hand in hand by the inability to see through Ferguson's hefty press/marketing campaign.

Do some actual research on him and you might be regretting that vote.

This is a discussion forum. Why not aid his researching by explaining your views?

Soldato
I read through the leaflet which came through the door with a sense of horror. The people running for Mayor are either crazy or delusional. One wants to build solar powered sheds for the homeless. Another is going to try to set the minimum wage within Bristol to £7 something. Various confident statements about taking money from thieving bankers.

The mayor might be able to build solar powered sheds. He shouldn't, but he might. I'm fairly sure he can't change minimum wage and will have no success whatsoever taxing the nasty bankers. Bristol doesn't really have any for one thing.

However, the shining light is Tim Collins. He seems to be solely concerned with Filton's airfield. Everything I've seen him say or write thus far is "I want to keep the airfield." I also want to keep the airfield, so will be voting for Tim.

Owain George has an unusual set of policies. He wants to sell off council buildings, fire council workers and abolish as much of the bureaucracy as possible. Fewer elections too. Sensible policy in general, but I don't think he has the authority to do so.

Soldato
OP
Owain is a mentalist. He owns the Albion in Clifton Village and had a go at my girlfriend who used to work in a nearby shop for not stopping a warden from ticketing his car (which was parked illegally).

All he wants to do is get in office and then start a personal vendetta. The fact that he wants to remove cycle lanes in the UK's first Cycling City is just crazy.

Man of Honour
Need to get out of bed and go vote.

Does George ferguson actually say what he will do at all?
He doesn't in the booklet and I can't see it on his website,

I think i'll be voting Marvin Rees, most of the candidates are just mad, so most can be dismissed, need to read some of their websites to double check though.

Despite him being labour, I hope party lines will mean less in a mayoral roll, but perhaps that's being naive.

Edit - now read most of their sites and their all crap.
Seems ill have to pick one key area and vote on that.

The bristol metro or arena are the two big things I want. Then Oyster card style system. More "green" stuff. Allotments, cycle lanes (as long as they are done properly) more solar panel and other such schemes (we allready have one such scheme in my local area).
Protection of green belt is one I don't want. Forces up land costs and limits house building potential.

So pretty much Furgeson or Gollop.

Last edited:
Soldato
Owain is Clifton blue blood and definitely a freemason lizard.

Collins switched from Labour to Tory in the 1990's, pretty much all you need to know about him.

Top Bottom