British University bans all offensive words and phrases

Caporegime
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4277136/PC-brigade-declare-end-mankind.html

This is definitely the biggest problem facing Britain today, so well done to Cardiff Met :rolleyes:. Here are a selection of offensive words/phrases and their approved alternatives

Best man for the job = Best person for the job
Waitress = server
Fireman = firefighter
Housewife = consumer ( :confused: )
Mankind = humanity
Christian name = forename
Homosexual = same-sex
Polio victim = Polio survivor
Sportsmanship = fairness
Workmanlike = efficient.

It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words. Of course the great wastage is in the verbs and adjectives, but there are hundreds of nouns that can be got rid of as well. It isn't only the synonyms; there are also the antonyms. After all, what justification is there for a word which is simply the opposite of some other word? A word contains its opposite in itself. Take "good", for instance. If you have a word like "good", what need is there for a word like "bad"? "Ungood" will do just as well — better, because it's an exact opposite, which the other is not. Or again, if you want a stronger version of "good", what sense is there in having a whole string of vague useless words like "excellent" and "splendid" and all the rest of them? "Plusgood" covers the meaning, or "doubleplusgood" if you want something stronger still. Of course we use those forms already. but in the final version of Newspeak there'll be nothing else. In the end the whole notion of goodness and badness will be covered by only six words — in reality, only one word. Don't you see the beauty of that, Winston?

Caporegime
OP
I would rather be called a waitress than a "server". The former is a job, the latter is a lower status. Housewife to be referred to as "consumer" again takes something that is active work and responsibility and puts a negative spin on it making it a passive sinkhole of resources. Christian name / forename - the latter makes more sense and is more intuitive. I don't see what the problem is with sportsmanship and workmanlike? Because they have "man" in the title? Also, "homosexual" is offensive now? I've been trying for years to make it not offensive.

I'm getting pretty sick of people trying to redefine my language. Wasn't it O'Brien in 1984 who commented about how if you can control language, you can control people?
Calling housewives "consumers" conjures up images of fat women in trackies consuming crisps and chocolate all day watching Loose Women.

Yup - the quote in my OP is also from 1984.
I assume since they don't want to offend/discriminate against anyone, Cardiff University will now be admitting all applicants regardless of educational achievements/ability?
It's Cardiff Met, so they probably do already ;) (just a joke - no need to get offended).

Caporegime
OP
People should have a read of Christopher Lasch's The Revolt of the Elites and the Betrayal of Democracy to see what's going on in the world right now. One of the key passages is:

Today it is the elites…those who control the international flow of money and information, preside over philanthropic foundations and institutions of higher learning, manage the instruments of cultural production and thus set the terms of public debate…that have lost faith in the values…of the West.

Caporegime
OP
Back
Top Bottom