1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broke my dr150s. Suggest replacements please!

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by CSMonkeh, Feb 9, 2019.

1. CSMonkeh

Hitman

The plastic band on my Goldring DR150s snapped so need to replace them.
    Any suggestions?

I’ve got an Asus Xonar soundcard that has a headphone amp, and listen to dance music

Thanks!

2. EsaT

Mobster

What kind budget you had in mind?

Beyerdynamic DT990 would be one open headphone with similar type frequency response.
    Pro Black Limited Edition would have straight 3m cable, "normal" Pro has coiled cable, because its meant for studio use.

3. CSMonkeh

Hitman

Indeed that would help!

I’d say £60...

I’ll have a look at them and see what’s what. Thanks

4. EsaT

Mobster

For that budget there aren't much of open design headphones.
    Takstar has gone for only closed designs, so don't know others than Superlux who makes open headphones into that price category.
    Superlux even has their copy of DT990...
    Though part quality and finish along with comfort aren't at same level.

5. CSMonkeh

Hitman

Just checked where I bought the DR150s from; only paid £46........back in 2010

6. Marsman

Capodecina

Yeah, I got my DR150's around that time too; 2009 I think. Absolute bargain of a headphone. DR150's main rival; the HD555, which were also £45 at the time; I remember Sennheiser decided to double their price to £90. Once they did that; nothing came close to being as good as the Goldring's for similar money.

Of course some people still believed the HD555's even at twice their previous price were a better choice. Brand loyalty, I guess. :p

Best choice for £60 budget now, would probably be Creative Aurvana Live for £55. They are closed cup, but as Esat has said, the choice of open headphones at that budget is slim indeed.

Superlux has some decent low budget headphones, but the DT990 clone has cheap pleather covered ear pads; the type that flakes off. Can't stand those that do that. I suppose the advantage would be that Beyerdynamic pads should fit and will be of better quality.

7. Uriel

Sgarrista

My DR150s cost me £30 new. Absolute bargain of a headphone. Mine are looking a bit tired now but still in daily use.

CAL! are a very different sounding sort of headphone. I got those for about £30 too.

Things have changed :(