Brought vs bought

Caporegime
Genuinely curious why so many people get these two confused. Is there a place where it's taught incorrectly or something?

I might have to bruy a dictionary at this rate :confused:

Caporegime
OP
You can't work out why people might get those two words confused?

The way I see it, it's one of two things: stupidity or lack of education. If it was because of the one singular letter, then surely they'd confuse more words too?

Although people like that usually hide behind the lexscyid smokescreen.

Caporegime
OP
Caporegime
OP
At my last job I was on the same level as a colleague, ie we did the same job. We got on fine but could rarely have a laugh as he had the personality of a brick wall. A year or so after joining a supervisor position came up, so I stuck my name in the hat and so did he. I went on holiday for three weeks and came back to him being my supervisor. No problem, missed that opportunity. Turns out he was actually banging one of the girls in HR at the time. Once this particular cat was out the bag, the manager walks in to his office with one of the supervisor's emails in his hands and says "please can you ask your girlfriend in HR to proof read your emails if they are going external" and walks out.

Supervisor runs after him and asks why, to which the manager replied, very loudly, BECAUSE YOUR WRITING LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE DRANK A BOTTLE OF RUM AND A CAN OF ALPHAGHETTI SPAGHETTI AND PUKED THE SPAGHETTI ALL OVER THE SCREEN.

He was a great manager that man.

Caporegime
OP
The thing is, I did read it befor I posted and again just now and I read it perfectly fine. On another note everyone comments in how quick I scan read .... I literally read twice as fast as others and have been asked more than once to prove I have read something as they don't believe me. Maybe linked?!

Yes. Your superhuman abilities make you look stupid.

Caporegime
OP
There are various idiot indicators, spotting them means you're either dealing with someone young or just stupid. Brought / bought, borrow / lend, your / you're, their / they're / there, etc etc.

People make up all sorts of excuses, the most prevalent one seems to be "it's the internet, why should I care?".

This to me means that if you can't even be arsed to come across as educated on "the internet" then how are you going to come across on a job application? It also indicates a lack of respect to those you are addressing.

We all make typos but personally I have very little time for repeat offenders, winds me up something silly. Yes, I had a very strict English teacher at school :p

Caporegime
OP
Also, 'have' and 'of' gets my goat.

YES!!!!

How could I have forgotten this one!

EDIT: we need a forum for like minded folks to sit back in and smoke cigars whilst we peer out at the uneducated masses and laugh at their incompetence in the language they use every single day of their lives.

Caporegime
OP
Some people are just too thick, or too lazy, to get it right. It can often be jarring when reading something which has such errors, but what's worse are the spackers who correct what people say rather than engaging with what they obviously mean.

And you managed to insult both sides of the discussion. Bravo.

Caporegime
OP
Sod off esteban :p

Also, I was going through my ignore list and saw twistedone, remembered how fondly he was the first person ever to end up there. Wondered where he was and voila, like a genie from a lamp.

Back
Top Bottom