BSOD when Gaming

Associate
Hi,

Need some help as i'm at my wits end.

Trying to play The first Decendant or D4 and I keep getting BSOD withn 5-10 minutes of playing. I have CPUID monitor running on my second monitor to check temps and it all looking good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tests done:
Cinebench - 10 min multi core throttle test
Memtest - 6 hour test let it ran over night 0 errors
Unigine Heaven Bechmark - 30 min on max setting I can and no crash
Nvidia drivers up to date
Bios updated to latest

System:
Windows 11 Pro
Intel Core i7-14700K (Raptor Lake-S) Socket LGA1700 Processor - Retail
Corsair Vengeance EXPO 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-41600C40 5200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK32GX5M2B5200Z40)
Asus ROG Strix B760-F Gaming WIFI (LGA 1700) DDR5 ATX Motherboard
DeepCool AK620 Zero Dark CPU Cooler - 120mm
Corsair 950 non modular PSU 10+ years old now

Bios settings changed:
Power limit for PL1 and PL2 set at 200 watts, had this at 220 watts before and temps are around 80-85c

Screenshot of crash:

Last edited:
Even though you did a 6 hour pass of memtest, bad ram can still pass without errors, I had bad ram pass a few times, then finally showed over 8 hours. Assuming you're using the usb stick method.

Might be worth trying another night just to rule it out. Maybe that PSU is too old as well. Hope you can get it fixed.

Have you tried with 1 monitor and is Windows fully up to date?

What are you using for storage for the OS? I cannot see this listed above.

Do you have another system that you could use to swap out the ram?

Do you have EXPO enabled in the bios? Could try disabling this and seeing if the issue continues

You might want to run sfc scan now and make sure your chipset and storage drivers are up-to-date.

From a quick google, process died sounds more likely to be a driver or software issue than a hardware issue.

i would download hwinfo64 (latest 8.04-5740) and check voltages on your psu, +5v, +12v and 3vsb are the ones to watch, if any of those readouts turn red your psu is bad, a 10y old unit i would be warey of.

You dont mention it but do you run a descrete gpu or use the cpu's igpu? cant imagine fps being high in Decendent on the igpu.

i'm sure i read a artical online a couple of days ago, first decendent is a pretty heavy game to run so unless your settings are correct the game will crash and lead to loads of problems, have you tried another game to rule out a game issue rather than hardware.

Even though you did a 6 hour pass of memtest, bad ram can still pass without errors, I had bad ram pass a few times, then finally showed over 8 hours. Assuming you're using the usb stick method.

Might be worth trying another night just to rule it out. Maybe that PSU is too old as well. Hope you can get it fixed.
Thanks for the advice, will run it again over night, (Running it from USB stick) Bought a new Corsair 1000w PSU will see when it comes, didnt really want to spend more money on it but maybe its on its last legs

i would download hwinfo64 (latest 8.04-5740) and check voltages on your psu, +5v, +12v and 3vsb are the ones to watch, if any of those readouts turn red your psu is bad, a 10y old unit i would be warey of.

You dont mention it but do you run a descrete gpu or use the cpu's igpu? cant imagine fps being high in Decendent on the igpu.

i'm sure i read a artical online a couple of days ago, first decendent is a pretty heavy game to run so unless your settings are correct the game will crash and lead to loads of problems, have you tried another game to rule out a game issue rather than hardware.
Thanks, will see about the voltages in HWinfor64, great shout. I'm running a 3080TI as my GPU so this shouldnt be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom