BSoD when starting WinXP Pro, even with safe mode

Associate
I'm trying to diagnose the problem with my girlfriend's laptop over the phone;

Upon trying to start Windows this morning, she was unable to do so. Instead she would get a momentary BDoD (stop error) which would flash up briefly and restart the machine automatically. The same thing happens with safe mode and 'last known good config'.

I'm 80% sure that this isn't being caused by a hardware fault; her system has apparently been pretty inundated with spyware and/virus'. It was working fine yesterday evening, however.

It's pretty difficult to try and fix over the phone, and I'm unable to try running the recovery disk until I see her later in the week.

Are they any suggestions people might have for a quick fix? I just need to instruct her as to how to access her files as she needs to get some work off of it.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
This happened to my machine last week - in the end I reinstalled as I couldn't figure out what the problem was (suspect the registry had got corrupted but don't know for sure). A couple of things that might be worth trying:
1) Although you said you can't start in safe mode - can you start in safe mode with command line? If so you can run system restore (assuming it's turned on) which might help you (Google for system restor from command line to find the command to type).
2) Failing that if you have a normal XP installation disk (I'm not sure if this is possible with a laptop reinstall disk) you can try to repair an existing installation of windows. Normally you'd start from the CD. Then follow options to install XP. Just before the install commences you'll be asked what partion to put the OS on - if a partion already exists with the OS you have the option to try and fix it. Like I said though I'm not sure what will happen if you try this with a laptop reinstall disk.

That's about everthing I tried

edit:
Actually I see that you might want to get some files off the machine without fixing it fully. I used Knoppix to do this (a live linux cd). Basically it will boot you into Linux with out messing with your hard disk. If you have a cd writer, wired LAN or external hard disk you can copy files off onto these. Other boot disks (there's a few out there) will do similar things.

Alternativly you could try the recovery console. Again you probably need a 'normal' windows XP disk to do this. If you start from the CD you can boot to a command line from which you can copy files - though you'd only be able to send them to a floppy or other partion (I think).

Last edited:
Associate
Without knowing what the BSoD says its quite hard to know what the problem is. Is it possible for her to identify the STOP number before it restarts?
I know it is difficult as I have experienced the resetting BSoD myself.

Back
Top Bottom