BSOD's during setup.

Associate
Ok, the story so far;

A couple of months ago, my machine began to randomly BSOD, or crash out of programs (normally when under stress) and eventually did this more and more often.

So, this morning, I decided to get to the bottom of the cause, immediatly starting to reinstall windows... so... system formatted.

Now i'm suffering a BSOD everytime trying to run through the windows setup, the BSOD always occurs early on.

Memtest gave no errors, but I tried single channel with both chips and duel which still gave the same results.
BIOS is showing the PSU's voltages to be fine.
I've tried two SATA HDD's and an IDE HDD
Reset CMOS, and tried various voltages to get going, all with the same results
I've also reseated the CPU, changed the thermal paste etc, still the same.
(Machine temperatures are also reading fine).

I'm losing a lot of hair over this right now as you can imagine :p.

Unfortunatly I don't have a spare PSU/Mobo/CPU to hand, so I can't test everything out that way :(.

Just wondering what the odds of different parts being wrong, and if anyone knows a fix to this wonderfull dilemma :).

Cheers in advance,

Steve

(p.s. System Spec
DFI Lanparty SLI-Dr
6600GT XFX
3700+ SD
Corsair XMS 4400 (2x512)
Enermax Noisetaker 600w)

Permabanned
I had very similar problems when I first had my SLI-DR board and I think thats where the problem lies. As far as I know its a documented problem with memory compatibility. Try installing windows with one stick of ram. If it BSODs change the slot. If this doesnt work, perhaps find a stick of cheap generic ram and try with that.

If you can get windows installed, flash to a uptodate bios and that should sort things out. Hope that helps.

Associate
OP
It's always seemingly a different error code vicious.

And it has been working ok for a year Shiz. One stick ram does the same (tried both stick seperatly).

Will try a stick of Ballistix i've got to see if that makes any difference.

Associate
OP
...Continued.

Ok, been using a 512mb stick of ballistix and managed to get windows installed. However, there is still a lot of instability in windows.

Played with this memorys timings / voltages and not seen an improvement, the stick does seem to be getting extremly hot though, so will see if I can land myself a different stick to try.

Any other suggestions out there other than a memory fault?

Back
Top Bottom