BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Openreach launch full fibre FTTP service

Openreach while focusing on its partial fibre (FTTC) solution to date, with the launch today of its its full fibre (FTTP) we will hopefully start to see this service available to wider areas of the UK. The current roll-out of FTTP is such that it is available to limited areas of 15 exchanges.

A range of product speeds are supported, from 40 Mbps to 330 Mbps, with the advantage from FTTP that the service will always connect at the speed ordered. The issue of contention/congestion will of course still apply, but the problems of the next door neighbours security light killing xDSL speeds become a thing of the past.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5317-openreach-launch-full-fibre-fttp-service.html
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ptic-broadband-available-to-uk-consumers.html

Associate
Placed my order yesterday as I got my keys on Saturday to my new place - install date of 30th with predicted speeds of 49.8/19.8Mbps, not too bad, just a shame about the long lead time on the install.

Associate
Crazy BT. After waiting for the 30th June and seeing the power cabinets being installed I rang up today to ask for my upgrade, Unavailable Still...Infinity is available 2 doors away but not yet at my house :confused::confused:
They must be doing half a street at a time or something. :rolleyes:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Crazy BT. After waiting for the 30th June and seeing the power cabinets being installed I rang up today to ask for my upgrade, Unavailable Still...Infinity is available 2 doors away but not yet at my house :confused::confused:
They must be doing half a street at a time or something. :rolleyes:

Find the cab: http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre/checker.php
Check the wholesale checker: https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz...urceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=bt+wholesale+checker

Don't bother doing anything until the wholesale checker gives you the green light.

Soldato
had bt infinity in my old house in cannock moved to a new build in rugeley and now no fibre optic :(

Not even any plans for Rugeley to get fibre optic its ****.

I'm not even meant to be able to leave bt until june next year and have line rental paid until Jan.

Every 1 in my area can get virgin fibre optic but we apparantly can't. emailed virgin the other day just to see if its an error on their database sa its a new build.

I really want fibre optic back I can't stand buffering on youtube it drives me mad.

i'm paying £30 a month for 4MB internet and unlimited phone call and thats not even including line rental.

/rant over

Soldato
Ok, this is really starting to pee me off.
Not only can i not get FTTC at home, in a large town where the exchange has been upgraded for years now (slow on cabs).

Our work ISP has said that the FTTC service (like others) has been pushed back to September.... VPN connection to our Germany office will stay at snails pace for a while still then..

Associate
The nice man from BT visited yesterday.
20 mins later:

m9akvn.jpg

Very pleased, it's gone up to 72mb now (sustained 8.9mb/s from usenet)

Also liking the Asus N66U I decided to go with, I can finally get wireless at the other end of the house.
It has so many options, but I really don't know what to do with most it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Going to be ordering BT Infinity later as im fed up with all the problems with my VM connection.

When BT install the Broadband in your house will the engineer run the cables where you want them? as when VM fitted my BB i had them run the wires into my computer room which is upstairs.

Soldato
Going to be ordering BT Infinity later as im fed up with all the problems with my VM connection.

When BT install the Broadband in your house will the engineer run the cables where you want them? as when VM fitted my BB i had them run the wires into my computer room which is upstairs.

Depends on the engineer. Mine was kind enough to move the socket upstairs as long as I helped him open the floorboards up for the wiring. Others on the other hand will simply refuse and say it's not their job.

Soldato
Depends on the engineer. Mine was kind enough to move the socket upstairs as long as I helped him open the floorboards up for the wiring. Others on the other hand will simply refuse and say it's not their job.

Ah, so its not like VM where they connect your wiring to the outside of the house, and then run the cabling?

I have a phone socket upstairs as well as downstairs in the front room

So, Affinity is connected via a Phone socket just like ADSL.

Edit:

Well just ordered Affinity for July 12th, its faster than my VM connection and cheaper, im also hoping i wont get the awful technical issues ive had since joining VM 14 months ago.

VM customer service has to the be the worst, i explained why i was cancelling and explained the issues with gaming with the connection, the wifi is shocking on the router and the routing issues are gettin worse every day for me.

All she said was, you do realise that you download 500gb a month with VM, i said yes and the downloading is the not issue i have with your broadband, its all technical issues, which i refuse to speak about on the phone to Indian call centres who know less than me regarding broadband, i was then told that VM call centres are all in the UK, which i laughed on the phone to her and said they are not.

I was then called a liar?, not sure why, and called silly for cancelling my broadband.

I was also not offered any price reduction, though i would have refused anyhow with the attitude i got on the phone from this lady.

Speechless.

Last edited:
Associate
Ah, so its not like VM where they connect your wiring to the outside of the house, and then run the cabling?

I have a phone socket upstairs as well as downstairs in the front room

So, Affinity is connected via a Phone socket just like ADSL.

Correct, usually to the master socket.
The engineer can run an extension up to 30m away though, how this will work through floors though I don't know.

Soldato
Correct, usually to the master socket.
The engineer can run an extension up to 30m away though, how this will work through floors though I don't know.

Ah well, its not the end of the world if i have to use wireless, i know the wireless wont be half as bad on the Home hub as it is on the superhub :D

I take it using the second socket in the bedroom would give me a reduced speed as its not the master socket?

Soldato
I've just had Infinity installed but when you dial a number the dialling tone is only cleared once you press 3, 6 or 9 (I believe the other numbers are OK though as you can dial a number after that and it says your call can not be completed as dialled). Pulse works OK though! Also once in a call you can hear yourself speak? Is the only method to have this resolved is through booking an engineer visit costing £99 (if no fault is found)?

I was told to expect 60/20 and these are my speeds:

Was getting 15 meg/2 up with Be Pro previously.

Soldato
I've just had Infinity installed but when you dial a number the dialling tone is only cleared once you press 3, 6 or 9 (I believe the other numbers are OK though as you can dial a number after that and it says your call can not be completed as dialled). Pulse works OK though! Also once in a call you can hear yourself speak? Is the only method to have this resolved is through booking an engineer visit costing £99 (if no fault is found)?

I was told to expect 60/20 and these are my speeds:

Was getting 15 meg/2 up with Be Pro previously.

You were quoted 20 up, and are only getting 9 ? I'd be very annoyed about that

Back
Top Bottom