BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Nice one, makes a lot of difference having FTTC.

Im getting around 67mb down and 17-18mb up. I am not with any commercial ISP but my old place of work, have one of their connections which means no over subscription, which is good, totally un-throttled, no caps.

So much more reliable aswel, not had a single issue with any outages/line issues as yet, ping times are nice and low, and very consistent too

Sweeeet!

Just make sure you're in! ;)

I've got the chain ready. :p Been checking everyday since I had that email from the nga people and it wasn't there last night! Can't believe that we're finally leaving the stone age after all this time. Just got to clean up the cabling mess behind my desk now and we'll be ready to go. Even getting a fifty quid shopping voucher for ordering the upgrade online. :D

Well... since having switched a month ago:

FTTP gives better pings than FTTC. Something like 10ms instead of 25ms. So it's handy for gaming, but not a big deal.

300MB vs 80MB isn't such a big deal, most servers aren't capable of serving at that speed anyway. Only things like Steam, torrents, newsgroups can take advantage of it - but then it's a case of downloading something in 1 minute instead of 3 minutes... either way you boil the kettle and it's done.

So... going FTTP is cool, but going for the top package isn't.

Holy mother of god, 10ms instead of 25ms. If i can find a server where i get a ping of 25 i will be very happy. If i end up with a ping of 10 that just for a brief moment goes to 9, i'll probably vomit uncontrollably its that sick.

Do I have to use the Home Hub that will come with my installation or can I continue to use my Netgear DGND3700 which has a Gigabit port for connecting to external cable/fibre modem and has many options which I would like to continue to use?

EDIT: Just checked my order and a BT Home Hub 5 is on the way. I presume that they now won't be installing a VDSL modem as well?

Last edited:
Do I have to use the Home Hub that will come with my installation or can I continue to use my Netgear DGND3700 which has a Gigabit port for connecting to external cable/fibre modem and has many options which I would like to continue to use?

EDIT: Just checked my order and a BT Home Hub 5 is on the way. I presume that they now won't be installing a VDSL modem as well?

You can use the DGND3700 WAN port.

Username: [email protected]
Password: 12345

The engineer should provide a VDSL2 modem.

not quite :(
Ping times are good enough though and been consistent:

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.253.67]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms BTHomeHub.home [192.168.1.254]
2 5 ms 5 ms 4 ms 172.16.10.5
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 217.41.216.13
5 8 ms 9 ms 8 ms 213.120.177.26
6 8 ms 7 ms 7 ms 217.41.168.9
7 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms 217.41.168.107
8 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms 109.159.249.112
9 11 ms 15 ms 7 ms core1-te0-15-0-7.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.
249.37]
10 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms peer2-xe8-1-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
55.101]
11 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms 194.74.65.42
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms ae0.er01.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.93]
14 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms 132.185.255.156
15 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms www-vip.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk [212.58.253.67]

Trace complete.

Ignore the time outs the connection doesn't suffer with packetloss :)

Thats because its not BT's network, its openreach's network. BT and sky's service are supplied by the same fibre/copper cables but each have their own equiptment at the exchange/cabinet and decide how they want to run their services.

Was talking to a Guildy last night on Vent who has just got SKY Fibre (supplied by BT). He gets full Torrent download speeds 24/7. Why are downloads capped for BT users, but others using the BT network get full speed? It's BS.

My downloads aren't capped at all and i'm on BT.

I think those that are "capped" are still on the old packages, afaik the new ones are uncapped.

Was talking to a Guildy last night on Vent who has just got SKY Fibre (supplied by BT). He gets full Torrent download speeds 24/7. Why are downloads capped for BT users, but others using the BT network get full speed? It's BS.

Sky Fibre uses Sky's network.

You'll need to re-contract if you want to remove the shaping.

What is it precisely that I need to ask for?

We haven't had the service a year yet and shaping was never mentioned as something you could opt out of, or I would have done it at the outset :(

Anyone who signed up after I think it was April or something was put on the new "completely" unthrottled package anyone who signed up before then remains on the old package until they renew their contract (there isn't an option for it) though I've not bothered to redo my contract and I've not been throttled on anything for 3-4+ months now.

mines been avaialable since June but my cabinet's not been upgraded. Was supposed to be September now Jan.

My exchange has been enabled since March, my cab however isn't getting done by Openreach they've referred it to Superfast Cymru who have an 18month estimate.

Despite being in the middle of 4/5 other FTTC cabs in the middle of a big residential area, OR aren't interested :mad:

Back
Top Bottom