BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Sorry for asking a question that's probably been asked a million times but what's the go to router to replace the HH with? Was looking at the AC68U but after looking into it with BT Infinity i'm questioning it. How does the C7 compare?

TJM

TJM

Associate
The standard advice is to pair a HG612 3B modem with the best router you can afford. Modem/router all-in-ones usually have problems, although the broadband enthusiasts over at the Kitz Forum rate the ZyXel VMG8924 (which needs a bit of work to source).

Soldato
The standard advice is to pair a HG612 3B modem with the best router you can afford. Modem/router all-in-ones usually have problems, although the broadband enthusiasts over at the Kitz Forum rate the ZyXel VMG8924 (which needs a bit of work to source).

Thanks! I'll have a look around. I was looking at the Netgear D7000 but if a separate modem/router is the way to go then i'll do some research.

Edit: Does anyone use the Netgear DM200?

Last edited:
Associate
We have just bought our first house and due to move in around a month. We'd quite happily keep our BT service and take it with us, except that BT cannot provide our current service (fibre broadband + TV) at the property.

Therefore they will be billing us for the full amount of the remaining months, which comes to over £300. They will, however, waive the cancellation fee of £30. How generous.

Is there likely to be any price hikes coming soon? It would be incredibly frustrating to have to pay that for them to announce a price hike a week later!

We've been with BT for around 6 months so not sure how often they tend to hike prices. I think the last one was in January?

Associate
I can see it from both sides really. At the end of the day that was the contract we agreed to, so if I have to pay it then so be it.

But like DragonQ says, we hadn't anticipated moving this quickly. A combination of finding an ideal house and our rented house being put on the market means we are moving.

I would take the service with us (this would actually be more convenient) but they can't provide a decent speed internet, which also means the TV service won't work as most of the channels rely on streaming.

Charging full price when they won't have to deliver anything from this point onwards (and potentially have another full paying customer in the same property) takes the mick a bit, in my opinion.

If I have to pay full price anyway, there's not much incentive to actually cancel it now and hope there is a price rise in the meantime.

Soldato
It states in BT's T&C's that if they cannot provide service in your new area then you are free to leave without penalty, you just need to pay a cease charge.

If they can provide a slower service, then they are within their rights to charge you cancellation fees if you do not wish to downgrade.

Soldato
So, fibre installation day and it's been.. a bit underwhelming. Despite years of waiting for fibre, going for 80/20 and being 140m from the cabinet as the crow flies, maybe 180m of cabling if it goes the route I think it does, I'm getting the below stats.

Connected directly to the test socket
PrAiRcf.png

Connected to master socket, but with the faceplate in properly.
mfRcO8n.png

Connected via the extension to the socket in the room where the router usually sits
UO7TQH1.png

Connected via the extension, and the extender cable from the socket around the room to the routers usual resting place
4PvqQrV.png

My openreach DSL line stats
3E27O8S.png

So, my faceplate is stealing 15Mbps, then the extension another 3, and then the cable extender another 8.

1) I thought I'd get much closer to 80/20 at the master socket. Was I just too ambitious?
2) Will a new faceplate stop it from stealing a huge chunk of performance?
3) The 3Mbps drop on the extension line isn't too bad, but the cable in the room is obviously terrible. Is that normal? It didn't seem to be impacting the line as much on ADSL.
4) My actual download speeds are even worse. Despite syncing at 34Mbps wired to my PC, my speedtest.net results are 22/10. The speed test results from the test socket were much better at 56/16. The max I can get out of the test download files here: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download is about 600KB/s, which isn't much better than my old ADSL.

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like a faulty faceplate to me. Is there any way you can leave the Router connected to the master and use a longer Ethernet cable or powerlines?
Hmm, is that an engineer job or do I just get a new faceplate myself? Our current one has Openreach written on it.

I do have a set of old Netgear 200Mbps powerline adapters and a switch upstairs. Nothing else uses the extensions aside from my PC, so I can use the test socket and powerlines. I'll give it a shot and see how I go.

Soldato
Thanks, I'll check it out. Although, with the test socket sync rate being 60/16, I'm wondering whether just to drop down to the 40/10 package. I thought being only 140m or so from the cabinet that we'd get closer to the 80/20.

Soldato
It states in BT's T&C's that if they cannot provide service in your new area then you are free to leave without penalty, you just need to pay a cease charge.

If they can provide a slower service, then they are within their rights to charge you cancellation fees if you do not wish to downgrade.
I wonder if they thought of the implications of IPTV when they put that clause in though. As Mr. Peri Peri said, without FTTC/P they can't provide the service he currently has. Sure you could argue that they can still provide ADSL but he bought phone/broadband/TV as a single package and they can no longer provide that. Forcing him to split those and potentially pay more (e.g. by getting TV from Sky) by locking him into two thirds of the service he signed up for seems unfair to me and I'd definitely take my chances with the ombudsman over it.

Man of Honour
Thanks, I'll check it out. Although, with the test socket sync rate being 60/16, I'm wondering whether just to drop down to the 40/10 package. I thought being only 140m or so from the cabinet that we'd get closer to the 80/20.
Is that as the crow flies? I'm less than 200m from mine, but the line length is estimated to be nearly 500m.

Soldato
Is that as the crow flies? I'm less than 200m from mine, but the line length is estimated to be nearly 500m.
Yeh, I'll have to go out and have a walk at lunch to see where the cable is actually routed. I think I've probably got 200m of cabling if it follows the street round, so I'm probably getting about as good as I can to the house.

Soldato
I am so sick of BT retail and Openreach! I ordered a home move on the 26th June for our Infinity and phone service. The earliest appointment I could book was the 17th of July! The new address did not have a phone line so I was told I'll have to order ADSL broadband and then upgrade again to FTTC. Really?!

The engineer turned up as expected on the 17th and installed the mastersocket indoors. He then said I could leave as all the work could then be completed outside. As I left they were tacking the phone line to outside wall. I was told the broadband/phone will be active from midnight. This has not happened. Every time I phone no one can tell me what the fault is and when it will be resolved.

Not impressed. I phoned up WELL in advance knowing the process will take ages but this is ridiculous. What's more annoying is I know there will be another long delay between upgrading from ADSL back to FTTC.

Does anyone have any email address' for anyone at BT / Openreach who will actually assist?

Back
Top Bottom