1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by michellez, Feb 8, 2011.

1. BattFink

Hitman

I've just migrated my connection from BT Infinity to Zen (go-live was this morning)

Previously i was getting a solid 78Mb/s down & 17Mb/s up..
    I'm now getting 57Mb/s down & 17Mb/s up

[​IMG]

I'm not using the ISP router (just changed the PPoE details on my Unifi USG), Is it usual for the the line to re-train when you migrate connections? Or do I need to speak to Zen?

2. michty_me

Wise Guy

Everyone you change ISP it will cause a DLM reset back to interleaving so you will have to wait a little while for it to optimise the line now.

3. Avalon

Mobster

Yep, suck it and see for 10 days unfortunately.

4. zipp0r

Wise Guy

provided you are not messing with it and re-syncing, on the 3rd day it should turn the interleaving off.

5. ^JP^

Mobster

What about if I wanted to use a G.Fast SFP modem?
    Anyone done that yet?

6. j_walsh

Gangster

if your lucky! Switched from GFAST with bt back to sky for fttc (80 MB) - still interleaved after 7 weeks. ( i was on fast path and synced at 80mb prior to the gfast switch).

7. RockLobster

Wise Guy

Did you sort this issue out?

8. V_R

Sgarrista

Yeah there's no hard and fast rule as to when DLM does its thing, not sure where this 3 days thing has come from....

9. zipp0r

Wise Guy

new lines are provisioned with interleaving turned on. if everythings ok, it swaps to fastpath on the 3rd day. its been that way for a quite a while.

10. V_R

Sgarrista

The first part is true, but that's the first I've see or heard about a set time frame for DLM removing it. Got a source?

Edit: Found this. So if this is correct, it highly depends on the quality of the line and the type of cabinet you're connected to. In fact reading that thread it would seem if you're on an ECI cab its more luck if your line moves to fastpath.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4611768-re-interleaved-after-service-change-normal.html

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  11. michty_me

Wise Guy

You could artificially cap your line yourself to reduce errors. DLM should then act and make a positive change. Might not last though depending how many errors are generated uncapped

12. BattFink

Hitman

It's still kind of all over the place at the moment, but does seem to be creeping back towards it's normal...although it's hard to test at the moment as my Uncle's staying over & won't get off of Netflix

13. Avalon

Mobster

No need to run speed test, just look at the sync speed.

14. V_R

Sgarrista

Indeed, I had to do that at my old house to force remove Interleaving after we had a few days of bad noise that caused the error rates to go through the roof and DLM wouldn't act on its own after it returned back to normal. Thankfully my new place has a very clean line! :)

15. michty_me

Wise Guy

It done the trick for me for removing reTX high from the line also. I think I've got a fairly decent line too.
    Sync just shy of 72Mbps on a 500m line and only about 1ES a day.

16. ^JP^

Mobster

Would I be correct in saying that everything here is as maximised as possible for 80/20 FTTC?

Waiting on G.Fast install date!

17. michty_me

Wise Guy

Looks like it yeah. You are at full sync rate with a little head room also.

18. ^JP^

Mobster

Thanks, I thought as much, some times speed test is lower and ping higher than I would like.

19. michty_me

Wise Guy

That could be down to congestion possibly?

20. Avalon

Mobster

The thing with any off network speed test is it relies on peering, which can vary massively from one location to another and the individual utilisation in different servers. Using different servers local to you can yield significantly different results.