1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by michellez, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Rroff

Man of Honour

Nothing has changed at the previous address since we moved. Just a bit odd that it has a heavy emphasis on "exclusive" all over the email otherwise I'd dismiss it.

Backwaters of Somerset for you :s I'm surprised I've even got sort of reasonable 4G here - then again most of the village has barely ADSL so we are lucky to have FTTC at all.

2. ChrisD.

Capodecina

Could someone who uses BT please confirm what they pay for BT Sport on Sky in HD please?

3. Caged

Capodecina

Shove your laptop straight into the modem and dial a PPPoE connection to test the theory.

If you had a G.fast faceplate then your internal wiring was already isolated. The faceplate might be faulty, Openreach should replace it if that is the case.

4. pcfarrar

Hitman

I'm paying £6 per month for BT Sport Lite on Sky.

5. DragonQ

Soldato

So my upload sync speed has always been ~20 Mb/s since we moved here 3 years ago. However, in the last couple of weeks I've noticed our upload sync rate has dropped significantly. It is now ~15 Mb/s, with an SNR margin on 7.4 dB and line attenuation of 22 dB.

I asked Plusnet about it and all they had to say was that my download SnR margin was at 3 dB and that this was a "mistake". Given that changed back in October, I cannot see how that is relevant. Are they just talking rubbish? How can I get them to look into this without dismissing it out of hand or ruining my download sync rate by changing it back to 6 dB SNR margin for no reason?

6. MissChief

Capodecina

Could be crosstalk. Upload is rarely looked at as an issue by ISP's, to the point where we don't even quote it when a customer buys the service. You generally get what you get and they only guarantee download.

7. Armadillo

Mobster

My line is pretty good, had one issue that required open reach (low speed + no dial tone), but other than that, is stable, so not had much reason to call anyone in the years I was with BT.

Went with Sky in the end, as I decided I didn't really need the a lot of the extra call features and once you drop those, it's only a few £ difference, so just for convineace of one bill (have tv as well), that's fine. Still a massive saving over what I was paying bt. Router wise, not too fussed, all seem to be moreless the same in terms of features. Sky being a bit tight on only putting two ethernet ports, but not a massive issue. Sky dropped from their terms about not using equipment other than sky, so apparently no more hassle (other than a router that supports mer) to swap compared to others these days.

Thanks for the feedback on talktalk anyway :).

Website quoted me upload speeds. I think it was quoted when phoning as well (wanted to keep number), can't remember. Website definitely had upload quoted though.

8. MissChief

Capodecina

But it likely doesn’t form part of the minimum speed guarantee.

9. Armadillo

Mobster

Oh that, thought you meant in general. Yeah, minimum speed was only on the download.

10. ic1male

Caporegime

Blimey. Something weird happened overnight. Connection dropped at 1am (as it does from time to time with Sky Fibre Max) and came back up at maximum speed. Only ever seen this happen once, nearly two years ago when it first got installed. Now I hope it never drops again. :p

[​IMG]

11. z10m

Hitman

DLM probably dropped your noise margin to 3db which increased your sync rate.
    You can actually train your line if you have the HG 612 that's unlocked by limiting the sync rate yourself for few days to achieve full speed as it lowers error rate on your line and pushes DLM to change profile.
    Done that myself and it works.

12. opethdisciple

Capodecina

:mad::mad::mad:

What ever changes BT have made to the BT TV web portal is utter garbage.

For one they have changed something that now stops me watching say two games simultaneously. You can only one watch one as it claims on the other screen you have too many streams running.

And two cant watch the Spurs Ajax game at all. I turned it on turned the sound off as had a call. Once call ended tried to turn the sound back on but the menu to do so didn't appear. So I refreshed the page.

And now we are back to it telling me I have too many streams running.

So I am paying for something that I cant use. :mad:

Utter garbage!

13. zipp0r

Wise Guy

is running at a noise margin of ~2 not going to be unstable ?

14. V_R

Sgarrista

Depends on the line to be honest, that's what DLM is there for.

It looks like he re synced just as he had a drp in noise on the line giving him a little extra, that is of course assuming he is on a 3dB profile.

15. krooton

Capodecina

Finally got my FTTP connected at the new house, 74 down 20 up, £40 a month (but with cashbacks and rewards effectively making it £30 a month). BT and Zen were the only options.

I mean, it's no Hyperoptic (who I have been spoiled with for years), but I am happy with that.

16. DIABLO

Soldato

Hi guys I wonder if any of you can offer any insight into my line fault.

Basically for the last 5 weeks I have been suffering from random disconnects sometimes up to 20 times in a day and also degraded performance where as before I had a solid 80/20 connection.

So over the course of 5 week and 5 engineers visits and changed the master socket ( a filtered socked), Router, new line from the drop line junction box to the master socket they have also inspected the wires on the poles.

And after all these changes my connection is no better and the Engineers don’t seem to have a clue what to try next.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  17. Caged

Capodecina

If it's still faulty then it needs to go back to Openreach until it's fixed. Have you been moved onto a different FTTC port yet?

Be careful pushing too much as they might just decide to cancel your service and mark your line down as unserviceable.

18. DIABLO

Soldato

Apparently there are no ports free. I’ll leave it until Zen rings me again then but I have a feeling they will push BTOR as I can get out of my contract as I am below the minimum speed they guarantee.

19. MissChief

Capodecina

Ask the next engineer to contact the DCOE for advice. There should be some test ports in the cabinet otherwise they need to get more capacity added.

20. Caged

Capodecina

Very much not expecting Zen to be as poor as this and throwing up the "welp that's all we can do" excuse