BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Do you have a link to the thread? My other half is using the freebie from BT so I'd like to see how we can regain control of her account.
Sorry only just seen this

Soldato
Sorry only just seen this

Cheers mate :)

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Any ideas about how? What sort of router would I want

It depends on what you really want as you have the normal offerings from the likes of Asus, Netgear, TP Link etc... As you are on 500Mb, you won't run into the PPPoE single thread issue on the UDM range which only effects speeds over 700/800Mb.

QoS is also named differently on different routers, as an example on UniFi they call it Smart Queues, on pfSense they call it Traffic Shaper and Untangle its under QoS.

Id look into the following:

UDM-Pro / SE (If you don't plan on going over 500Mb, you can play with the config to make it work but its a bit of a faf)
pfSense Appliance (The lower end appliances also may not have the CPU power for high speed PPPoE connections)
White box solution which can run OPNsense / pfSense / Untangle etc...

Associate
Does anyone know if there is a way to understand how Openreach will take fibre to the property? i.e. will they take something via the pole as it's currently done to supply broadband or via the road?

Man of Honour
Sigh my brother is having the old BT/OR incompetence - there is a line problem, open case, they send internal engineer despite him asking for and getting an agreement to send an external engineer, internal engineer turns up, finds nothing wrong internally, agrees there is an external problem and schedules an external engineer, day later BT closes case saying the internal engineer found no problem in your property automatically cancelling the external engineer, repeat 3 times so far now onto the 4th...

To add insult to injury they are blowing fibre through the ducts on my road but no sign of FTTP being available any time soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any ideas about how? What sort of router would I want

Draytek Vigors have very good QOS. Vigor routers are designed for SME's serving multiple connected people so QOS was always good on them.

The issue you described some posts back, this sounds like acknowledgement packets begin delayed due to saturated download. Vigors have an option called 'Ack priority' that can be enabled to solve this.

Man of Honour
Generally not very plug and play routers though - the presentation of information tends to be overly technical and especially some of the slightly more advanced options you really need to know what you are doing and plug the values in manually rather than having consumer friendly presets like other routers might have.

EDIT: Tends to be the problem with QoS though - in a lot of consumer routers it tends to be thrown in as an afterthought.

Man of Honour
Does anyone know if there is a way to understand how Openreach will take fibre to the property? i.e. will they take something via the pole as it's currently done to supply broadband or via the road?
If it’s currently done via a pole this is most likely how the fibre will be run also.

Soldato
Sigh my brother is having the old BT/OR incompetence - there is a line problem, open case, they send internal engineer despite him asking for and getting an agreement to send an external engineer, internal engineer turns up, finds nothing wrong internally, agrees there is an external problem and schedules an external engineer, day later BT closes case saying the internal engineer found no problem in your property automatically cancelling the external engineer, repeat 3 times so far now onto the 4th...

To add insult to injury they are blowing fibre through the ducts on my road but no sign of FTTP being available any time soon.
Similar to my situation few months ago, internal engineer came, found no issues but did agree OR needed to visit, but the fault tracker reported as no issues found a few hours later. Immediately contacted support and luckily managed to get a proper engineer out. I'm suspecting whatever system the internal engineers are using are useless.

Soldato
Gonna go with talk talk today I think 500mb for £39 a month, can't see anything better.

Not sure about the Amazon eero router you get but we'll see I guess.

Hopefully talk talk can complete the order because vodafone could place the order but then cancel it few days later. I'm moving from BT on FTTP.

Mobster
Soldato
Gonna go with talk talk today I think 500mb for £39 a month, can't see anything better.

Not sure about the Amazon eero router you get but we'll see I guess.

Hopefully talk talk can complete the order because vodafone could place the order but then cancel it few days later. I'm moving from BT on FTTP.

I tried the Eero they sent I thought the range on it was pathetic.

Soldato
Ordered talk talk 500mbps.

Web site shows £39 a month.

Called up the sales line and got it for £35 a month.

Hopefully order goes through after Vodafone failed to complete the order.

Tempted to do the same - when do you switch?

There’s also cashback available over £100 which does make it slightly cheaper than £32 but equally it might not track/paid.

Currently on BT Gigabit but overkill for our needs and 500/70 would be a better option for nearly half the price.

Anyone else with TalkTalk 500 - how you finding it? Have they implemented a website yet for checking account?

Associate
Just be careful, I ordered the 500Mbit package over live chat for the discount. However, I got the confirmation of the order via email, but nothing else after. Basically, they are losing orders somehow. It then takes weeks to resolve. There forums are full of posts about it.

Moved to Aquiss in the end.

Soldato
I didn't see any offers for £100 cash back with talk talk.

Was just happy with £35 a month for 500mb. Currently with BT on 300mb for £50 a month I'm out off contract, BT best for 500mb was £46 a month.

I've had a email from BT saying I'm leaving.

Hopefully few more updates from talk talk next week, router delivery etc.

Talk talk told me 6th September for switch date but possibly sooner as I'm already FTTP.

See how it plays out.

Soldato
Just placed the order to move the mother over from her underperforming 40/10 FTTC onto Plusnet FTTP 80/20. Plenty for her and we're going from £30 a month with Zen to £26 a month and £75 with TCB.
Install date booked for early September.

No phone obviously but thankfully she's more or less fully transitioned to mobile now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom