BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
@RSR Thanks - really appreciate you taking the time to try that. Sadly, something is amiss - it *looks* like it should work, but the internet breaks! If I set the WAN Interface MTU to 1508, all appears well - the PPPoE negotiates an MTU of 1500 as per your test. However, the internet becomes very sluggish on the pages I can get to, and others like the speedguide.net page that you linked just completely time out! Another example - I can get to speedtest.net, but it times out trying to find a server etc. and never completely loads the page. Stumped on this one!

Thanks - I had seen the isr.dispatch tunable, as well as the numthreads one - all working well!

RSR

RSR

Soldato
What are you running OPNsense on? If its VMware do remember you need to enable mini jumbo frames on the vSwitch.

Like this for example:

NKT5upm.png

RSR

RSR

Soldato
@RSR It's running on a dedicated appliance with Intel 211/igb NIC's - one port for the WAN, and one port for the network, so should be no issue?

Interesting, as a test what does it show if you shell / ssh to it and run a ifconfig against the PPPoE and WAN interface?

Id also test it with IPv6 disabled.

Associate
I've tried it with IPv6 Disabled (I thought that might be an issue), but no joy. I'll try again later or tomorrow and do an ifconfig - I'm about to get battered by the significant other and daughter as the internet is flapping up and down :cry: Apparently, not the amazing experience I sold to them when convincing them getting a 900/110 connection was worth the extra dosh :cry::cry:

Appreciate your time :D

Reactions: RSR
Mobster
Soldato
Not a huge difference and I'm tinkering still, but it's better than Zen albeit slightly. The real difference I notice is the latency.

Code:
==== SUMMARY ====                                                                                        
Upload capacity: 82.830 Mbps
Download capacity: 791.934 Mbps
Upload flows: 20
Download flows: 12
Responsiveness: High (3503 RPM)

Interesting that the upload is higher.

On TalkTalk I’m capped at 72Mb upload it seems when I pay for 75 but my download seems to exceed 500. So Openreach overprovision?

Man of Honour
Is this on pfSense? What do you see without mate
No, it's on Untangle. If I disable Bandwidth Control and QoS I get the following:

Code:
==== SUMMARY ====                                                                                                               
Upload capacity: 88.653 Mbps                                                                                                    
Download capacity: 796.184 Mbps                                                                                                 
Upload flows: 12                                                                                                                
Download flows: 20                                                                                                              
Responsiveness: High (2666 RPM)

Mobster
Soldato
No, it's on Untangle. If I disable Bandwidth Control and QoS I get the following:

Code:
==== SUMMARY ====                                                                                                              
Upload capacity: 88.653 Mbps                                                                                                   
Download capacity: 796.184 Mbps                                                                                                
Upload flows: 12                                                                                                               
Download flows: 20                                                                                                             
Responsiveness: High (2666 RPM)

Interesting that you get good scores even without. Is it just a much better router than the TalkTalk Hub? Is there less bufferbloat on 1Gb anyway?

Man of Honour
Interesting that you get good scores even without. Is it just a much better router than the TalkTalk Hub? Is there less bufferbloat on 1Gb anyway?
The issues you're getting, as I've said before, are due to your upload not being limited, and not bufferbloat.

I have no idea about the TT hub.

Man of Honour
Why is it upload when I get the same issue on downloads as well?

Is your upload limited? It's higher than mine, forgive me as I don't understand mate.
I thought I explained yesterday. When you download, the client has to send ACK’s back to the server. These ACKs cause the increase in latency.

Soldato
I'm now with Vodafone (after years with Virgin) and although the speed is good the router isn't so much. Finding that it crashes or reboots daily, I can find evidence by searching this can be a thing but fix wise i'm just pulling the load away from it.

I'd prefer to run my own router (had an Asus before) but that seems pretty imposible to do with Vodafone.

Soldato
I'm now with Vodafone (after years with Virgin) and although the speed is good the router isn't so much. Finding that it crashes or reboots daily, I can find evidence by searching this can be a thing but fix wise i'm just pulling the load away from it.

I'd prefer to run my own router (had an Asus before) but that seems pretty imposible to do with Vodafone.
What issue are you having? I’ve just come out of several Vodafone contracts and I wasn’t using the Vodafone router with any of them. The biggest challenge was getting the login credentials from Vodafone because they’ll tell you it’s your customer number or something so you key that in and then it doesn’t work so you need to add @vodafone.co.uk or @vodafonebusiness.co.uk or it won’t authenticate.

My typical setup was a Vigor 130 modem feeding a Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway or Mikrotik RB4011.

Mobster
Soldato
I thought I explained yesterday. When you download, the client has to send ACK’s back to the server. These ACKs cause the increase in latency.

So why is that not bufferbloat? I thought this was bufferbloat?

My TalkTalk Hub certainly doesn't have any way to limit the upload, so I need to get a router that limits the upload and allows prioritising these ACK things? Is that right?

Back
Top Bottom