BT Mail seems to have broken Thunderbird??

Soldato
Hi,

I am using BTinternet mail with Thunderbird.

All of a sudden, it wont log on properly. A message box comes up asking me to enter the relevant account passwords, but they are not accepted.

The log on details work fine is I use webmail directly. The passwords are still stored correctly in Thunderbird.

This is not a local machine error because I have more than one machine and neither of them will work all of a sudden with identical symptoms.

Every now and again it suddenly works and DL's a load of mails before refusing to work once more.

From Googling the issue, this does seem to be a known fault but I have not found any definitive solutuin.

(Usual stuff about checking that connection details are correct etc Like they were fine last week, then they weren't, then they were OK 20:00hrs last night and now all of a sudden they arent again :( )

Anybody else had this problem,? Any solutions?

:/

Soldato
(My relation use this setup and have not had problems.)

You are using IMAP, as opposed to POP3 ?
I do not know if authentification is fundamentally different between them, but IMAP is,anyway, more flexible imhop.

Soldato
OP
(My relation use this setup and have not had problems.)

You are using IMAP, as opposed to POP3 ?
I do not know if authentification is fundamentally different between them, but IMAP is,anyway, more flexible imhop.

Yep, using IMAP (Pretty sure it is the default these days, I am not aware of setting it as such when I first set it up)

And that still doesn't really explain why it works "Sometimes" and that when it doesn't work. It doesn't work on multiple machines...

Ho Humm...:/

Soldato
OP
Just worked again...

This time came up with password request, typed it in and it worked....

ARRGGhh, Totally random :mad:

If this doesn't get reliably resolved, any recommendations for an alternative client...

(Shame cos I liked TB)

Soldato
I don't know the setting but my relations stays logged in, and with tb+gmail I log in once per boot.

Timeouts ? could monitor ping response from yahoo/bt server but that is a bit ott.

(for tb+gmail have to configure gmail with insecure access(no oauth2) access, but this would not explain intermittent)

Soldato
OP
Update.

Still clunky, I have tried using MS Mail that comes with win 10 and still the same with that. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

At the moment both are telling me to check my settings/passwords but typing new password doesn't do anything.

As for the "Check my settings" Why? My settings have been fine for the last 15 years, why should they suddenly not be? :mad:

And again, it has happened on all my machines at the same time. Is this some sort of windows update issue?

I can log into webmail with no issue, but it is a PITA to use (As is MS Mail for that matter)

Soldato
Friend using this has not had problems ... but have they reset allow insecure access to yahoo option
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1169635

Chosen Solution
Basically turn on 'Account Security' "Allow apps which use less secure sign-in" and all should be ok using the same password you used to access your webmail account.

have not researched it , but maybe a newer tbird is more compatible ?

Soldato
I think they are having account in the last year several people who use BT email keep having this password issue the password just stop working.. Initially I just assumed they were dumb and forgot their password.. But I know 3 peoples password and when they cannot log in neither can I... It just seems to fix itself after a day or 3

Soldato
I am having the same issue with a @btinternet.com email address.

I have used TB for years, and after I reinstalled my OS a couple of days back I have not been able to reset up the account. Inaccurate password/login etc......the usual rubbish

Same issues on a laptop I have Thunderbird installed on and a hotmail account.

The password works in Outlook on my other computers and on webmail on all computers so something is going on in relation to TB.

Back
Top Bottom