Budget 2500K First Time Build

Associate
Hi guys. Just thought I'd make a log of my first build. It's going to be a mix of new and used parts to save money. I don't have any old parts myself so I'll be buying from the bay and other classifieds forums. Unfortunately, I do not yet qualify to use the MM which sucks. But this build will likely take some time so I still may need some parts when I qualify.

I won't be playing games, but will be using Photoshop. I may eventually dabble in games at some point. So I won't be buying a GPU right now which will save me a lot of money. I also probably won't be overclocking straight away until I get better cooling, or have a reason to overclock.

Here's my list to buy so far:

CPU: i5 2500K (bought in the US for £135)
RAM: Patriot 8GB dual channel DDR3 1600Mhz (bought in the US for £37 (£31 if I can figure out to do the rebate))
Case: Fractal Design R3 (bought used for £40)
GPU: Asus ATI Radeon HD 7850 (bought new for £180)
Cooler Gelid Tranquillo (bought new for £23)
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600 watt modular (bought new for £70)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 (bought new for £76.99)
Storage: Hitachi 2.5" 500GB HDD (already had) + Crucial M4 128GB SSD (bought new for £135)
Monitor: Dell Ultra Sharp U2311H 23" IPS (bought used for £124)
Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4 (bought new for £32)
Mouse: Logitech MX518 (bought used for £25)
Speakers: Fostex PM0.5 active monitors (bought used for £100) and Mission active subwoofer (bought used for £40)

EDIT: Current set up:

7577796110_503b7b22eb_b.jpg

7577867452_69561d80a8_b.jpg

This is a more recent shot with the Fractal R3 case, but not with the 7850 and Cooler Master 600W PSU.

7596087788_6e9ef6d1ab_b.jpg

The following are old pics from the original build.

The fans were very dusty, but I took them out and cleaned them up before finishing. My anus got super tight when trying to close the CPU lever, I hope it's all right (the CPU).

IMG_8317 by SMed08, on Flickr

IMG_8320 by SMed08, on Flickr

IMG_8322 by SMed08, on Flickr

IMG_8324 by SMed08, on Flickr

IMG_8329 by SMed08, on Flickr

IMG_8331 by SMed08, on Flickr

Cabling is not toooo bad. The only thing crossing the motherboard are the USB and audio cables. I'll look for some extensions for those I guess.

IMG_8341 by SMed08, on Flickr

IMG_8343 by SMed08, on Flickr

Full workspace, with old speakers
6831101338_31b7f54c3d_b.jpg

6844333342_a5ac6638df_b.jpg

With new Fostex monitors
6918239198_1e9cb29334_b.jpg

Full workspace... when working
6978730350_0c3ed111a0_b.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As in when mate, as in when. :D

The only other thing I've got is the 300 case, but I haven't picked it up yet. Supposed to pick it up this week. I'll get it up then.

Associate
OP
Very nice list of parts.

I bet you are chomping at the bit to get all the parts and start building.

Thanks. Yeah, you have no idea. It's consuming me lol. I don't need this sort of stressful distraction in my life right now. :D

I've never had a desktop PC before and the most powerful laptop I've owned is a Dell Inspiron with a T2300 1.66Ghz CPU and 1GB of RAM. I've had this laptop for the past 4 years nearly and have been trying to use Photoshop on it. lol It struggles with youtube HD videos! :D

This thing will be like a whole new universe compared to what I'm used to. Cannot wait.

Associate
OP
I'm thinking about getting a Corsair Builder 430W PSU. I know it's a bit low power wise, but I won't even be thinking about getting a GPU for at least a year, and definitely not any sort of 2xGPU in the foreseeable future. I probably won't even overclock for a while.

Would that PSU be ok?

Might take this to General Hardware, it'll get more exposure.

Associate
I would suggest you broaden your search in regards to m/m and maybe not only look on this site. As second hand you can probs get a more powerfull psu for the same money.

Also in regards to the past pc you had it will be like going from walking and then travelling at light speed lol.

Associate
OP
I picked up my new (used) case today. I'll get pics up later, but I'm sure everyone knows what an Antec 300 looks like.

There's hardly a scratch on it, very well taken care of and has 5 fans included. They have LEDs so I think I'll try to snip the LED wires - I don't like lights.

Anyway, picked up for £30. :)

Associate
OP
Well I've pulled the trigger on a secondhand Corsair Builder Series 430W. I know it's not the best, but even this PSU has good reviews for a budget piece.

Considering I'll won't be overclocking, using a dedicated GPU or aftermarket cooler, it should be fine for now.

Also it was only £20 and the guy only lives up the road from me so it's very convenient and I won't have to pay postage.

Associate
OP
OK, bought the PSU today. Looks great, only a few months old. It will do for now, I'll trade up when I get GPU next year or something.

All I need to get going now is the motherboard and SSD. I can get away without an optical drive for the time being, and just install Linux from a USB initially then 'obtain' Windows 7. I really want to get a monitor ASAP too, I don't really want to mount this big LCD TV over my desk.

Associate
OP
Sounds good glad you managed to get a psu for a good price.

Also have a look at the adata ssd's the seem good for the money.

Can't seem to find anything suggesting they'd be better to get than the Crucial M4. They seem to be about the same price from what I can find, maybe I'm not looking in the right place. And the M4 comes with significantly better reviews.

Associate
OP
Things slowing down at the moment. Gonna be very busy over the next few months, and monies are tight. I'll still be picking up the odd parts here and there.

Found a Dell Ultra Sharp U2311H 23" TPS for hopefully £140. Need to research a little more and see if this is a good price. It's way more than I initially had set aside for a monitor, but if I'm doing this build gradually then I suppose splashing out on a decent monitor won't be such a hit.

Associate
OP
Yeah, decided now I want a Dell Ultra Sharp U2311H 23" TPS monitor. They've been going for about £120-130 on the bay. Almost got one for £110, but it went for £120. Was a bit far for me to collect so wasn't bothered about not getting it. There are a few more going that are closer so I'll try and pick those up.

Associate
OP
:mad:

So, so annoyed. The monitor I lost out on last night for £120 was re-listed. I was on my iphone, there was 5 minutes left and it was at £60. I thought, I'll have another go and bid for £110. My phone lost signal, several minutes passed. By the time I regained signal, the auction ended at £77.50. :mad:

Associate
OP
Have some pics of my stuff so far. Boring, common and secondhand. But it's mine. Case is a little dusty. I'll clean it before installing everything.

img8302p.jpg

img8308i.jpg

img8305.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom