1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget (£300-ish) laptop recommendations.

Discussion in 'Laptops & Tablets' started by Clutch, 25 Aug 2021.

1. Clutch

Associate

Hello,

I have used chromebooks over the last few years, as they have suited my needs. However, I am about to start a new job where a windows laptop is mandatory.

The laptop won't have to be running anything really taxing. The minimum spec need is windows 10 and 4 gig of ram. So, again nothing special.

I just need something that will last, have a decent sized screen and wont cost a fortune. Hopefully I can get away with spending £300-ish (could go a bit more, if there is something worth the money).

Would be really grateful for any suggestions or advice.

Thanks

2. dave28

Wise Guy

acer aspire 3 look ok but im having a very hard time finding any laptops for 300 and many seem to have windows 10 "S" which i dont like the sound of myself.

3. Clutch

Associate

Thanks for the reply,

Yes i had seen a few laptops ran windows 10 S.... But I couldn't really work out how it was different from standard windows 10?

I might be able to stretch a bit further to £400, if there really isn't anything out there.

Thanks again.

4. dave28

Wise Guy

400 would give alot more options, loads of laptops about between 350 and 400

5. marms

Gangster

Windows 10 S mode can only install programs from the Windows store, S mode can be disabled and it becomes normal Windows 10 home.

6. Windmill

Associate

Really to get a good quality laptop you need to spend at least 450 pounds. I have looked into budget laptops of around 300 pounds and most of them are rubbish. Especially Chromebooks. I am thinking of buying a Chromebook but only the top of the range ones costing over 600 pounds seem worth buying as most of the cheaper ones have a lot of problems. For example if you read the online reviews of cheaper Chromebooks everyone is complaining about how bad they are. From rubbish keyboards to poor quality screens. The best Chromebook in my opinion is the Google Pixelbook. But for the same price about 800 pounds price you could get a really excellent Windows PC. By the way if you think 450 pounds is too expensive for a laptop. Just consider that in 2005 someone I know paid 700 pounds on an entry level Windows laptop! So we really do get better value these days. If you must buy a cheap laptop then it is a good idea to buy a second hand refurbished one.

7. [email protected]

Caporegime

I was going to go for one of the more expensive ones but now I'm also looking for something along similar lines. Mine will be required to run some light/moderate design workloads, so maybe ~500 - 750, e.g. 6 core CPU/8 - 16GB memory. I hear quite good things about some of the Acer units.

Out of interest, is it really worth paying for an extra warranty?

Last edited: 14 Sep 2021 at 21:55