Build Advice for the New Year

Associate
Happy New Year all.

I was kindly given some build advice on here some time back but since then cov-id came along and my requirements in the time elapsed have also changed. I've been waiting almost 3 years now to get around to having a new computer and in that time both my requirements and the technology has changed so iIwould greatly appreciate a new spec from the experts on here. My budget does not include the need for monitors or peripherals and is £2k.

At the time of the original request AMD were the only realistic option but now Intel seem to be back in the race and I have no particular affinity to either. Whatever build I go for will need to last me as long as possible. My last computer gave up the ghost when the M/B passed on and it was atleast 14 years old. It had however had additional storage added in the lifespan. I have nothing to carry over and will try and sell on trade-able parts that might be in demand.

My needs are for both work and play. By work it will be to run some databases and queries on very large amounts of data which my works laptop cannot handle or process in a timely manner. At the same time there will be multiple browser tabs open as I also trade in stocks and possibly some casual gaming at the same time. Other times it will be purely for gaming/streaming and creating YT content. These don't necessarily have to be the highest fps but smooth play would be desired as is the power to drive two not so similar monitors.

I plan to primarily use an 34 Ultra wide (AW3420), 120Mhz capable monitor but also plan to use a secondary 24" Dell monitor in vertical mode.

I want to stick with this build with the only future requirements being to upgrade just storage, RAM and possibly GPU if prices ever fall. Originally I wanted to be somewhat future proof but this clearly wont be the case no matter which option I go for right now. I realise this now.

So could some kind sole spec me a system with adequate potential. I don't need a wifi capable m/b, just scope to expand the storage. I'd prefer only NMVE but secondary or mechanical backups provided there quick/reliable are fine.

If I can get away with a cheaper GPU for now provided its not going to give me a bad experience coupled with bottlenecking the system too much and then upgrade once prices become reasonable or i save enough to treat myself.

If I have omitted anything obvious then please let me know. If now is not the right time to buy then equally please let me know. I'll be reviewing the many similar threads on here for build, watching reviews on the components etc in the weeks ahead.

Thanks for your time and those who read all of this.

While CPUs have advanced lot in three years, in GPUs situation has gone lot worser in prices.
Though Intel might be at least announcing their discrete GPUs, which would hopefully make at least some of the prices come down.
On CPU side AMD is going to release upgraded Zen3 models with 3D stacked extra cache in couple days at CES.
Would be best to wait over CES.

As for cases if you want upgradability for long time with new ports, there's been huge regression with disposable design fad of removing 5.25" bays.
Because of that only few cases have upgradability for new ports.
While at the same time they've added BS shroud to split inside into harder to work smaller spaces making especially PSU installing harder.
And of course about every case now looks like aquarium.

So if you want functional no nonsense case, choise is limited and it's propably grab one while they're still available like situation...

For use needing lots of screen real estate would recommend 4K, instead of lots of desk space for little vertical image wasting ultra low screen.
Competent for gaming models don't cost that much.
Gigabyte 32" M32U-EK 3840x2160 4K SS IPS 144Hz 1ms FreeSync/G-Sync KVM HDR400 Widescreen Gaming Moni= £698.99
And would expect CES to bring new model releases.

Thanks EsaT. I was looking at the Be Quiet range of cases a few years back. Not sure what their current style/range is.

I have no issue holding of for CES. Any PC build advice ?

Back
Top Bottom