Build me a PC for £4k

Associate
Hi,

I would like recommendations for a new gaming PC plz. I've got a little over £4k to spend to include building/postage. I don't really care about flashy lights, but as my computer is in the lounge I need it to be as quiet as possible when gaming - no excessively loud fans whirring away.

I've got a 4k 120hz monitor and have my heart set on a 4090, but other than that I'm looking for high end balanced system that will play the latest games for years to come. Advice and recommendations will be appreciated.

Ideally, I'd get the 7800X3D rather than the 7900X3D, but a few more weeks to wait for that.

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 3D Twelve Core 5.60GHz (Socket AM5) Processor - Retail - £589.99
MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI (Socket AM5) DDR5 ATX Motherboard - £249.95
Kingston FURY Beast EXPO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 PC5-48000C36 6000MHz Dual Channel Kit (KF560C36BBEK2-32) - £139.99

X WD Black SN770 2TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen4 Solid State Drive (WDS200T3X0E) - £124.99

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card - £1,700.00
Nvidia Bite Back Promotion - Redfall Bite Back Edition Bundle - £0.00

be quiet! Silent Loop 2 360 High Performance CPU Water Cooler - 360mm - £149.95
Phanteks Eclipse P600S Silent Midi Tower Case - Black - £139.99
MSI MPG A1000G PCIE5 UK PSU 1000W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply - £159.95

Grand Total: £3,391.79 (includes delivery charge, £11.99)

About fan noise, you might want to read this:

"Gigabyte's Gaming OC comes with a very calm design language, the main colors are black on the front and gray on the backplate. Under the hood we found a powerful 20+4 VRM design. Unlike some other custom designs today, Gigabyte is giving you the whole 600 W maximum power limit adjustment range, the default out of the box power limit is still the same 450 W as on the Founders Edition. Thermal performance of the cooler is good, definitely better than the Founders Edition. Unfortunately it seems that Gigabyte favored lower temperatures over fan noise with their default BIOS fan settings. While temperatures are excellent with 60°C on the GPU and 67°C on the memory, fan noise is rather high at 37 dBA. The good thing is that they include a dual BIOS feature with a "quiet" BIOS as second option. In this mode the card runs at only 32.6 dBA, which is considerably quieter than the NVIDIA FE, with only a small increase in temperatures. What I like here is that both BIOSes have meaningful differences, so making a choice is a real option. The quiet BIOS is still a bit louder than most other cards tested today, especially with quiet BIOS active, cards like MSI Suprim and ASUS STRIX are providing a lower-noise experience. Just like with all other GeForce RTX 4090 cards, you definitely need good ventilation in your case to get rid of all the generated heat."

Don't know about coil whine.

Last edited:
Ideally, I'd get the 7800X3D rather than the 7900X3D, but a few more weeks to wait for that.

AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 3D Twelve Core 5.60GHz (Socket AM5) Processor - Retail - £589.99
MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI (Socket AM5) DDR5 ATX Motherboard - £249.95
Kingston FURY Beast EXPO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 PC5-48000C36 6000MHz Dual Channel Kit (KF560C36BBEK2-32) - £139.99

X WD Black SN770 2TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen4 Solid State Drive (WDS200T3X0E) - £124.99

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card - £1,700.00
Nvidia Bite Back Promotion - Redfall Bite Back Edition Bundle - £0.00

be quiet! Silent Loop 2 360 High Performance CPU Water Cooler - 360mm - £149.95
Phanteks Eclipse P600S Silent Midi Tower Case - Black - £139.99
MSI MPG A1000G PCIE5 UK PSU 1000W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply - £159.95

Grand Total: £3,391.79 (includes delivery charge, £11.99)

About fan noise, you might want to read this:

Don't know about coil whine.
I'm not in any urgent rush so can wait for the 7800X3D, is it better than the 7950X3D, I was under the impression that was the flagship processor?

Re. the gigabyte graphics card, any reason for that particular one? The article you linked mentioned the MSI Suprim and ASUS STRIX being even quieter.

At around £3400, that leaves over £600 left in my budget, would there be any benefit in getting better components? If I don't spend it the wife will have it!!!

At around £3400, that leaves over £600 left in my budget, would there be any benefit in getting better components?

Don't forget to budget for peripherals like an external USB drive for backups, a UPS, a decent mouse, a decent keyboard, a second 4k 60 Hz non-gaming monitor (the 27" Lenovo L28U-35 is £200), a mount to hold it above your 4k gaming monitor, and so on. And don't forget a webcam:

I agree with @Tetras about the 7800X3D. Linus Tech Tips found problems with the 7950X3D:

TLDW: they got a bad review chip but the replacement wasn't that much better.

I also expect there to be a 7950X3D2 at some point with the extra cache on both CCDs but I'm in a minority here.

Have Gigabyte sorted out their RMA problems? I have the Zotac 4090 Trinity.

Don't forget to budget for peripherals like an external USB drive for backups, a UPS, a decent mouse, a decent keyboard, a second 4k 60 Hz non-gaming monitor (the 27" Lenovo L28U-35 is £200), a mount to hold it above your 4k gaming monitor, and so on. And don't forget a webcam:

I agree with @Tetras about the 7800X3D. Linus Tech Tips found problems with the 7950X3D:

TLDW: they got a bad review chip but the replacement wasn't that much better.

I also expect there to be a 7950X3D2 at some point with the extra cache on both CCDs but I'm in a minority here.

Just watched the video you linked, very interesting. I'll definitely wait for the 7800 version and see what people say.

I've got all the peripherals I need, although I didnt know what a UPS was until I googled it - that might be a good investment to be fair. The budget is just for the PC and I'm happy to spend all of it if I'll get my monies worth compared to the £3400 build advised by @Tetras

Last edited:

I don't know, I rarely read the 4090 thread, I usually just suggest Gigabyte or Zotac in my builds because they have the longest warranties and low(ish) price.

Re. the gigabyte graphics card, any reason for that particular one? The article you linked mentioned the MSI Suprim and ASUS STRIX being even quieter.

See above :)

I just don't think it is worth buying a 7950X3D if you're only gaming, but it is a great CPU for a mix of gaming and CPU-heavy stuff.

At around £3400, that leaves over £600 left in my budget, would there be any benefit in getting better components? If I don't spend it the wife will have it!!!

The build cost will eat a lot of it (if you're paying OCUK to build it, which I assumed you were). Aside from the things Quartz mentioned, I can't think of anything. You could buy 64GB of RAM and a board with PCI-E 5.0 graphics, which would add around £250, but I'm not sure if you'll get any benefit from doing that in the lifetime of the PC. A third M.2 or some other storage maybe, since games take up so much space nowadays. A higher efficiency PSU like the Thor II.

I don't know, I rarely read the 4090 thread, I usually just suggest Gigabyte or Zotac in my builds because they have the longest warranties and low(ish) price.

See above :)

I just don't think it is worth buying a 7950X3D if you're only gaming, but it is a great CPU for a mix of gaming and CPU-heavy stuff.

The build cost will eat a lot of it (if you're paying OCUK to build it, which I assumed you were). Aside from the things Quartz mentioned, I can't think of anything. You could buy 64GB of RAM and a board with PCI-E 5.0 graphics, which would add around £250, but I'm not sure if you'll get any benefit from doing that in the lifetime of the PC. A third M.2 or some other storage maybe, since games take up so much space nowadays. A higher efficiency PSU like the Thor II.
Yep Overclockers will be building it, my family is probably on their 4th or 5th PC from them now.

I appreciate the advice, I'll check a what the quietest 4090s are, add a 3rd m.2 and take a look at a UPS, other than that I think I'm good to go once the 7800X3D comes out.

I have two Cyberpower VP1600s.
They look good, how long would I get if the power went out on a 4090 gpu PC, monitor, speakers etc. Do they cost much to run 24/7?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I've got a surge protector power board but literally never heard of these until your earlier post! We have the occasional power cut and this will protect my new PC. I might get a couple more for the others in the house if they are cheap enough to run all day every day.

They look good, how long would I get if the power went out on a 4090 gpu PC, monitor, speakers etc.

I tested my 11400 + RTX 3090 PC with 3 monitors and got about half an hour and when an electrician cut the power to replace my fusebox with a breaker box my server survived unscathed.

But really, the UPS is there in part to allow you to save what you're doing and not so you can ignore a power cut. The other part is to protect your expensive equipment from bad power (fluctuations, brownouts, surges, and so on).

Do they cost much to run 24/7?

I've never measured that.

Back
Top Bottom