Build or test outside the case?

Associate
Do any of you folks build or test before mounting the motherboard in the case?

If so, how do you mount the motherboard to allow airflow underneath and prevent shorting or static damage?

I'm about to start a new build, and wonder whether to install the CPU/heatsink/fan before mounting in the case.

Either way, I'll still end up with skinned knuckles :(

--
Bryn

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

The PC does not have a removable motherboard tray. I am still interested in powering up outside the case, but obviously I need to work out a way of supporting the board safely.

One picture on guru3d showed the board with all the connectors attached just sitting on the box it came in - no antistatic bag, no metal tray.

--
Bryn

Associate
OP
Jeff Crawly said:
I just bung it on an AS bag and fire it up outside the case especially if I am going to be overclocking as it gives me much better access to jumpers on the mobo which would otherwise be a lot more tricky to get too once in a case.

Like below:
I like it!

So you aren't too worried about airflow under the motherboard?

And you don't get any problems seating the add-in cards securely without a securing bar?

--
Bryn

Associate
OP
Dace said:
It's just a test to make sure the components are working. You arent going to be leaving it like that for long.

It'll be fine for the 5-10 minutes you'll need to test components.

I rather liked the idea of doing some of the basic overclocking tests out of the box, knowing that I could get to the BIOS reset jumpers easily :)

Associate
OP
Just came across an interesting comment on the harcoreware.net review of the OCZ DDR booster:
"most intelligent users will setup and overclock their hardware outside of their case first in order to find a stable overclocked speed before doing a clean case install"

Now, that's what I was considering..........

--
Bryn

Back
Top Bottom