Build update!

Associate
Build update! (advice needed)

Hi all. A while ago I asked you advice on a new build. Can't find the thread though.

Anyway, things have progressed, gradually:

CPU: AMD X2 4400
MOBO: ASUS A8N32 Deluxe
RAM: Corsair 2 GB 3500LL
GFX: 2x ocUK Silent Extreme 7800GTX (SLI)
HDD: 2x WD Raptor 36 GB (RAID0) for apps w/ WD Caviar 250 GB for data
DVD: NEC DVD-RW
CASE: Lian Li PC-7+ SE
PSU: Tagan Easycon 580W
SCREEN: Viewsonic VX922

Plus bits and bobs.

Comments/observations/recommendations on the rest of the spec would be awesome.

Getting there slowly but surely!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah sure, new chipsets arrive frequently, but I never see the need to upgrade. Unless there's a requirement to upgrade, I won't be changing the 7800s.

So what I should say, is that being cutting edge isn't hugely important for me where GFX is concerned. Hopefuly as well, I'll have a base system with nice OC potential.

Cheers for the comments, keep them coming! (esp. the regarding the questions).

Associate
OP
Okay after further research I've decided against the P180, and in favour of a Lian-Li PC-7 or PC-60.

Going by my spec, do you think the cooling of the PC-7 wil be enough, or is it a job for the PC-60 with all its ducts?

Also would still like an opinion on having the Raptors in Silentmaxx enclosures, especially now I'm probably going for a Lian-Li. Cheers!

Associate
OP
Yeah I'm reading conflicting stories on the 12cm fans though. I emailed OCuk and they said they are shipping a version with 1x12cm and 1x8cm. I've seen other sites mention the PC-7+ 'SE', which does have 2x12cm. The variations are somewhat confusing.

Associate
OP
Cool good news. ocuk need to change the PC7 literature on the site then.

I'm itching to press the order button to get the rest of my new rig but the Silentmaxx's are out of stock. Any ocuk peeps know a due date for them?

Associate
OP
Currently building this now. Stressful the first time isn't it? So many uncertainties!

Like heatsink orientation stumped me for a bit (see spec)...plus I had NO idea there was thermal goo on it already. Heatsink pipes bend under from the bottom of it and point up - correct?

Also had problems aligning the MB with the I/O shield. Still not 100% satisfied with the fit of that but meh, who sees the back anyway.

Also made the mistake of putting the GTXs in before connecting the various connectors like front panel. Out they came again...

No guide can truly prepare you, but these forums are helping a lot so far - cheers!

Feel free to console me with similar stories :)

Back
Top Bottom