Build vs Buy - Gaming PC

Associate
Been out of the game for 20 years. Looking to build a gaming rig around the £1000 mark. Been getting myself up to day with the current hardware, apparently raid 0 and overclocking aren't really things anymore.
Is it better value to build or buy pre built?
Can anyone advise on a good cpu/graphics card combination that fits into this price bracket? I'm guessing 4k gaming is out of the question at this price point.
I'm looking at a 750w psu, at least 32gb ram and 1tb storage. A fancy glass case and pretty lights would be nice too :-)

I used to know which speed of ram to get to match up with CPU clock cycles, motherboard bandwidths, but totally out of touch these days!

self build is always better, if you have the time to diagnose problems if/when they occur
prebuilts usually cheap out on some parts (usually ram/mobo/psu) but you have the return-to-base warranty for as long as it lasts

for £1k, you'd be looking at a rough build of: ryzen 7600, rx7800xt or rtx 4070 (non-super), 32gb ram
this will run 4k, but obviously not at ultra settings. more suited to high-refresh rate 1440p gaming, which is the sweet spot imo

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,042.90 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Last edited:
I'm guessing 4k gaming is out of the question at this price point.
mickyflinn's build (7800 XT or 4070 non-Super) will get you playable framerates at native resolution in the majority of games, the other games you will need upscaling. It is a big ask for a 1K build though, so you're right that this is pushing it.

If you look at the charts on this page, it gives you a break down under 4K for each of the games tested, but note that they use the highest settings so you can do a bit better than the numbers quoted.

This is a good video for giving some context on what is possible and what to expect:

Back
Top Bottom