Build your own server....

Associate
Anyone done this? like a gaming rig, did it work out cheaper?

When I say build your own server I mean using these guidelines:

1. Multi-cpu socket motherboard
2. Xeon etc (not desktop procs)
3. rackable chassis // case
4. redundant psu's (single one is next to useless)
5. sas drives etc
6. raid controller

Any links you would recommend if you did for buying the case // motherboard etc? shame they don't this here at OcUK

Cheers

Associate
OP
Thanks guys - after doing a spot of googling there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in pricing tbh and you are right about the support benefit about buying a complete server off the bat

I have access to a data centre (but not free kit!) and was wondering what would be the cheapest solution to getting a server racked and looking at trying to make some profit from it?

Do any of you guys do this? (resellers etc) is there much profit in it these days? (prices are extremely competitive now)

Associate
OP
Do they? I had a quick look for multi-cpu socket motherboards here (i.e so I could build a desktop server with 2xSix Core AMD's niceee!!) but couldn't see any, maybe I wasen't looking properly! :D

Associate
OP
I never even checked there, how cool! damn see what you mean about the prices though, there is an AMD alternative here too:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=4AUqWniKqYByIAxw

That baby will take the new 12 core procs!! (and quad) just a shame they don't produce a non-xeon // opteron dual socket motherboard, would be interested to compare two six core AMD Phenoms vs the I7 Extreme procs! (if you compare the price of the procs, you'll see why, and I'm sure a dual socket AMD (non opteron) motherboard wouldn't be that expensive...)

Back
Top Bottom