Building a concrete lip

Soldato
We have an outhouse at the moment which is used for storing various bits of crap as you can see in the pics below.

The issue is that for the door to open it needs to be very short as the yard slopes up slightly away from the outhouse. This causes problems as water runs in. I'd like to make it more waterproof so that i can moved the junk into the shed and store my tools in here.

The obvious solution seems to be some kind of lip/step just inside the doorway to stop water getting in.

To do this is it just a case of a length of wood on the inside, one on the outside, hold together with some g-clamps and then pour concrete into the channel?

I suppose my worry is do i need to "key" do anything to the existing concrete floor to help it join so that water doesn't get in between and start to erode it.

Excuse the very crude fix on the door, the previous owners had a hole in for the cat to get in.

vrT5s2y.jpg

XBMxalo.jpg

Alternatively any better suggestions?

Hmmm the drainage idea could be a good one as theres a drain about 50cm to the left of the door so i could channel it downwards into that.

I assume an angle grinder would be best to cut that concrete drain to length? Unless i just used plastic drainage.

Just bringing this back up. I bought one of those plastic drainage channels. However i've just come to look into fitting it and the drain i planned to feed it into is a bit too high.

Heres the general layout
JXOh6BX.jpg

Closer
VU6uhAs.jpg

Drain channel *should* just about fit depth wise to flow into the drain. How do i go about getting a neat cut in the concrete though? Do i just hack away with a bolster chisel?

Also i'm aware how grim that drain is and it's all cleaned now. I usually have a bit of wood covering the hole so didn't realise how bad it was.

Well the concrete was no trouble at all. Have dug it all out nicely. And as with any job like this it presented extra issues

1 - I found some brick coming out about 6" from the wall at a depth i need clear. I can leave some but could do with chipping some of it away. Doesnt have to be too neat.
2 - The flags are uneven as balls, the one in the corner has dropped a lot so will need to level this up as otherwise to get the required slope on the drainage it sticks up about 20mm at that end.

Back
Top Bottom