Building a Fileserver

Associate
Once again I'm almost completely out of storage space on my PC, and with 3 internal HDDs and 2 external USB HDDs already (comprising just about 1TiB total), I've decided that it's finally time to bring my fileserver plan into action.

I'm looking to build a home fileserver, for storing the vast majority of my stuff (mainly music), which I can connect to my wired network (i.e. my router!) and put away in a cupboard, and then access via my current computer.

It will be used for storing, backing up and sharing my music collection, and pretty much nothing else. At first I would be looking to have about 1TiB of storage available (including backups), but I know that my collection will just keep growing, so I'm wanting a solution which will be able to grow with it, in a more efficient manner than simply adding more and more USB hard drives, as I currently do.

My budget is a maximum of £500 (plucked pretty much out of the air), though that doesn't necessarily have to include much of the actual storage space, as I would move some of the drives over from my current pc. If I can do it cheaper, without sacrificing too much then that would be grand.

So I'm looking for:

- Big case

I'm looking at the Coolermaster Stacker and the Lian-Li V2000, with a preference for the latter because of its greater number of 3.5'' bays. Any thoughts on these, or other suggestions?

- Good power supply

I have no idea on this. Help, advice?

- Reliable basic motherboard

The only feature that I'm really thinking I'm looking for is as many SATA ports as possible, so as to allow me to maximise the number of drives I can have without needing any PCI cards.
Otherwise I'm a bit lost and could do with help here as well.

- Basic processor

Currently thinking of the cheapest available AMD Semipron.

- Memory

How much would be sensible for such a machine? (512?)

- Graphics Card

Cheapest possible, there merely to make the thing work.

I have spare keyboard, mouse and monitor available.

Any thoughts and guidance would be greatly appreciated, especially on the choice of motherboard (+processor), case and power supply, or on the project in general.

I had a search and did see the recent 'Minimum spec of a fileserver' thread, but I hope I'm ok to start this new one, as the question wasn't wholly the same.

Cheers for any help.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help thus far.

1. Several people have mentioned that using old components (cpu, ram etc), would be the way to go. The reasons I wasn't thinking of going along this route were:

* I don't actually have any old suitable old components lying around spare (I'll post my current specs when I get home, but it's an Abit NF7-S, AMD, 2*256 Crucial system).

* Is it actually any cheaper than going with a low-end semipron system? If one uses an old cpu and appropriate motherboard, then it's not going to have inbuilt support for many HDD's, which would necessitate purchasing a RAID card of some sort, if not at first, then certainly in order to expand later. This seems to be as expensive, if not more expensive, than getting a current board with plenty of SATA ports built in.

2. A cheaper case would be ok, if there were any that were reasonable, but I was under the impression that you get what you pay for, as it were. The overriding opinion seems to be that the CM Stacker (and the Lian-Li et al) are 'good' cases, right? Are the higher prices not justified by better build quality, better cooling, and better design and features?

3. After some thoughts and discussions last night, here is a spec that I've come up with:

MB-113-AS Asus K8N4-E Deluxe nForce4 4X (Socket 754) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-113-AS)
£54.95 £54.95
CP-138-AM AMD Sempron 64 2800+ 1.6GHz (Socket 754) CPU - Retail (CP-138-AM)
£45.95 £45.95
GX-014-HT HIS EXcalibur ATI Radeon 7000 64MB DDR TV-Out/Dual CRT (AGP) - Retail (R7000-TW64D) (GX-014-HT)
£17.95 £17.95
CA-025-EN Enermax Liberty 500W ELT500AWT ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CA-025-EN)
£63.95 £63.95
CA-054-CM CoolerMaster Stacker STC-T01 - Silver Trim (No PSU) (CA-054-CM)
£94.95 £94.95
MY-040-CR Crucial 512MB DDR PC3200 CAS3.0 Dual Channel Kit (2x256MB) (CT2KIT3264Z40B) (MY-040-CR)
£29.95 £29.95
Subtotal £307.70
VAT £53.85
Total £361.55

Any thoughts?

The Asus K8N4-E Deluxe actually has 8 SATA ports according to the ASUS website (can any owners confirm this?), hence my choosing that.

The bulk of the money has gone on the case and the PSU, which I was advised were the important points of such a build.

I'm hoping to produce a long-term solution to my storage needs. Given that I'm currently needing >1TiB of storage and could easily need 2TiB within a year or two I'm thinking that a good large case like the stacker, and a quality high-power PSU are sensible investments.

I'm actually thinking of buying a Crucial 2*512MB PC3200 set and upgrading my current pc with that, then using the 2*256MB PC3200 from the old pc in the new fileserver, so have reflected the spec for the fileserver above.

Sigg said:
For the case I can recommend the old stacker, I'm using one with 12 HDDs in 3 4in3 device modules, better drive cooling & cheaper than the V2000. You can also use 2 PSUs which is handy.
Does the old stacker come with one of these 4in3 Device modules included? Or will I have to buy one (or more) separately?
Is it fine to use several of these in the one case, in order to convert the 5.25'' bays to 3.5'', with 3 being the maximum I presume?

Back
Top Bottom