Building a Log Cabin

:)

:confused::confused:

A bedroom for them and a bedroom for the new kiddy in the house and a shiny new outdoor office for working from home, with a utility room in there too. Sounds like a great idea.

Just thinking with a new baby you cant leave it on its own so it would have to be in log cabin with them if they both work from home and keep going back to house to get stuff or if only one person works from home then it means your all a bit separate.....I guess its the same as going to office....

Anyway super cool I'm sure it works for you, Well done!

Last edited:
Nice :D

That looks about 1.5x longer than the one we got and maybe a tiny bit deeper, we assembled it ourselves though (me, my brother and dad). Only has power into it not water or anything. It's mainly just used for the dryer and storage for everything that was moved out of the garage before it was converted to a bedroom.

Finished the first of the top coats. This Sadolin Ultra Top Coat is a nightmare, it really does not take very well. I can see why it needs two coats.

Here's a comp of the progress. Right to left, Bare wood, Preservative, base coat, top coat 1.

[this one is missing]

1 more coat to go!

Last edited:
Today I have installed some door latches, finished the internal preservative coats and ordered some oak effect laminate flooring for the office space which I'll be installing over the weekend.

The utility area floor will be laid with another dpc to the top of the skirting board and tiled in anthracite 300x300mm tiles. Bloody hate tiling - meh.

Finally get a delivery of the final 5 litres of topcoat tomorrow, although by the looks of the weather reports I wont have a chance to put it on until mid July. 2 weeks of rain? Really Accuweather?

Oh well at least its waterproof now...

Looks great :). What sort of security are you installing for it though? (And no, I'm not casing the place out for a future burglary...)

Its all multi point locking doors in this, there'll be a few security lights and maybe an internal trigger point crossbow pointed at the door just to be sure. May need some advice from arekgreenman888 on this one though...

Can't prevent anyone breaking a window though, that's what insurance is for, and a large bat if I happen to be in at the time...

Last edited:
The topcoat is out of stock. Meh. Have to wait 'till next week now. So instead I solved a pressing issue;

Turns out the build crew broke the Ethernet cable that I had carefully laid into the cabin concrete floor. So today I had to re-lay it. It goes from the router in the bedroom, up into the loft, out of the soffit board, along under the soffit, down the external wall, into a 34mm poly pipe, under the patio (yes I had to tear it up again and relay it), down the side of the cabin and into the office through the log wall. Took bloomin ages, but now have 40MB down and 5MB up in "the shed". Thank the maker for BT Infinity.

Last edited:
This weekend I'ave mostly been tiling the utility room floor, and laying the laminate floor in the office. Looks pretty good.

Really struggling trying to find a sparky here - the first one is ignoring me, the second one was not interested, and the third cannot do anything for 2 weeks.

Also had a major issue with the rainwater harvesting, having drastically underestimated the amount of water the roof collects. Added another 2 no. 200 litre water buts - which filled up within a day - that's 800 litres I have out there now, and its almost full. So I installed an overflow pipe which I think at some point I will connect to a hose pipe with holes in it to water the garden under the cedar tree...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom