Building a new gaming rig.

Soldato
Yeah there is definelty a dust filter on the underside of the case. I will only be able to install 2 fans though, there is room for 3 but I think the fans won't leave enough room for the cables that connect the motherboard to the front of the case.

Btw I love the case, good recomendation dude.

at thats great then! wasnt sure sorry. and no worries, it was on sale so would have been a crying shame not to and its something different that can house a 360 aio.

you could always have a 3rd fan on the rear with a filter to either intake or exhaust . but two should be good for the bottom , specially if you can get a silent but high Air Flow fan - RGB fan might light the case up a tab nicely too

Associate
OP
at thats great then! wasnt sure sorry. and no worries, it was on sale so would have been a crying shame not to and its something different that can house a 360 aio.

you could always have a 3rd fan on the rear with a filter to either intake or exhaust . but two should be good for the bottom , specially if you can get a silent but high Air Flow fan - RGB fan might light the case up a tab nicely too

I'm liking what I read here. Really tempted to get some more glowing lights going up through the case

This actually booted up at 1.26vcore for 4.8ghz and done a small cpu bench and stress test on CPU-Z (I realise this isn't a great tool for stress testing but it's all I have at the momebt).

Warcraft is completely stable too. That quite a low voltage for 4.8ghz so far?

Cheers.

Scott.

Soldato
I'm liking what I read here. Really tempted to get some more glowing lights going up through the case

This actually booted up at 1.26vcore for 4.8ghz and done a small cpu bench and stress test on CPU-Z (I realise this isn't a great tool for stress testing but it's all I have at the momebt).

Warcraft is completely stable too. That quite a low voltage for 4.8ghz so far?

Cheers.

Scott.

each cheap is different but its when you go past 4.8ghz you need voltage and heat increases a lot! never actually tried to get lowest voltage at 4.8 :(

does look good. long as its stable for your games to! another good games test is Unigine super - if any part of the system is unstable you'll soon find out haha

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £78.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

currently on sale- looks like XSPC uses Pure Wing fans as the base, have asked bequiet about it - but to different styles

I also use Phanteks Halo RGB fan covers for my Silent Loops in the past... with the ridge groove son the fans... looks damn good!!!

think they do digital ones now too! but they arent plug and play in Gigabyte boards, only the non-digital ones like below

IE0K69t.jpg
NCssG0R.jpg
B9NWtDx.jpg

Associate
OP
each cheap is different but its when you go past 4.8ghz you need voltage and heat increases a lot! never actually tried to get lowest voltage at 4.8 :(

does look good. long as its stable for your games to! another good games test is Unigine super - if any part of the system is unstable you'll soon find out haha

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £78.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

currently on sale- looks like XSPC uses Pure Wing fans as the base, have asked bequiet about it - but to different styles

I also use Phanteks Halo RGB fan covers for my Silent Loops in the past... with the ridge groove son the fans... looks damn good!!!

think they do digital ones now too! but they arent plug and play in Gigabyte boards, only the non-digital ones like below

IE0K69t.jpg
NCssG0R.jpg
B9NWtDx.jpg

Oh wow that is stunning! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction and helping me fill up one of my bank cards for the best wee while hahahhaa.

Soldato
no worries. to be honest your best getting the case fans first, if they happen to have RGB then great. then work on if you want the AIO to RGB . performance over fucntion first :D

Associate
OP
Finally got fibre internet set up yesterday and I've downloaded real bench. With a CPU Vcore of 1.24 my max temp in a 10 minute window was 89c which is too warm for my liking.

Is there anything I could have missed in terms of overclocking that the chip may be using more voltage than 1.24v? Or is there a way to track how much voltage it is actually using. Because I feel like a 4.8ghz overclock with 1.24v is quite good.

Cheers,

Scott.

Pics will follow at some point in the next week lol.

Edit: stable at 1.22vcore. But temps still the same unfortunately. Sitting idle the temps are between 30 and 37 degrees. But that is after the stress test to be fair.

Last edited:
Soldato
What Load Line Calibration LLC did you set in bios for Vcore ?most themed to set it for Turbo as that stays closer to voltage you set .

Also, make sure pump is set to 100% rpm in bios .

8700k is a hot chip and Asus real bench uses AVX which pushing your CPU to its limits for heat and stress ! Long as it survived that your all good but does seem a rad high if your using 1.24v

CPUz and HWmonitor will also tell you your Vcore :)

Run Unigine valley in window mode and see what your CPU temp is, will give you indication when gaming which is key . Should be in the 60s max

Did you buy extra fans in the end ? Think they are on sale again

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What Load Line Calibration LLC did you set in bios for Vcore ?most themed to set it for Turbo as that stays closer to voltage you set .

Also, make sure pump is set to 100% rpm in bios .

8700k is a hot chip and Asus real bench uses AVX which pushing your CPU to its limits for heat and stress ! Long as it survived that your all good but does seem a rad high if your using 1.24v

CPUz and HWmonitor will also tell you your Vcore :)

Yeah LLC is set to turbo and the pump is definitely running at 100% (although the pump fans are auto because at 100% it sounds like a helicopter hahahahaa).

Yeah I don't get anything close to 90 degrees gaming so far which I'm happy with, I'm assuming a stress test is the ultimate test for it and real world usage won't go near that especially if I'm just gaming and perhaps streaming.

Running the real bench Benchmark just now which has just finished.

Temps running between 60 and 77 degrees.

System score 156,817. I don't even know what that means haha but stable at 1.22vcore which seems like a well low voltage to run on. So far I'm quite happy with that.

Thanks for replying again. I owe you some beers dude.

Scott.

Soldato
Only think can recommend is remount again, just to be sure

Unfortunately Intel did such a poor job with the TIM between the die and heatsink, sure your temps would be rock bottom with that low voltage if it was Delid :)

Did you end up getting bottom fans ?

Associate
OP
Only think can recommend is remount again, just to be sure

Unfortunately Intel did such a poor job with the TIM between the die and heatsink, sure your temps would be rock bottom with that low voltage if it was Delid :)

It was my first ever time mounting a cooler to a cpu so I'm guessing it could have perhaps been done better.

As for a delid I'm not really sure that I really need to do that. In fact the gpu is probably a bottleneck right now with an overclock of 4.8ghz on a 1400p while still running a 1070 zotac amp edition.

If I were to remount the pump, would you suggest changing the thermal paste again then?

Thanks again,

Scott.

Soldato
Nah, wouldn't recommend the Delid but just an insite to know matter what you do, coffeelake will always run hot :(

Normally you clean the paste off and reapply . See how you get on with games first and custom fan profile :)

To be fare , Alphacool could have made the mounting a bit easier

Associate
OP
I did get two bottom fans yeah, they look great a nice white led finish. I should probably replace the case fan with a white led one too.

Yeah I'll see what temps I am getting in some proper games first before deciding on a remount. I'll just check some thermal paste guides on the internet but it isn't that complicated to be honest haha.

Thanks again.

Soldato
I did get two bottom fans yeah, they look great a nice white led finish. I should probably replace the case fan with a white led one too.

Yeah I'll see what temps I am getting in some proper games first before deciding on a remount. I'll just check some thermal paste guides on the internet but it isn't that complicated to be honest haha.

Thanks again.

:D look forward to seeing it, tempted by the case but seeing if Lian like can ship a pc-o11 dynamic , if not will be all over this

Back
Top Bottom